lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
anix
Getting Wild

Default What's your motor temp.

I want to get out and ride for 8 or 10 under what would be normal driving conditions for us to check motor, controller,cable and connection temperatures. I am sure other have checked theirs especially those that have made modes. Post what you have and it might help folks know what to expect.
After motor and controller have not been more that about 4 miles but I did take a reading....field housing was 135 - end housing 125, controller was 90 and all cables and connections were 86-89.
anix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
arcedout
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What's your motor temp.

Hopfully someone will chime in..... I have wondered bout this myself
arcedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Have heard cables and connections should never be more than 10 degrees above ambient
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
arcedout
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have found out with mine that if your holes on connectors are much bigger than the studs they go over it will cause a lot of heat.... changed a few out and it made a big difference. Also read 1 thread and 1 said motor shouldnt get hotter than the point of boiling water 212 f
arcedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

A safe number for the motor would be no more than 200 degrees. The insulation on the wiring is not going to like much more than that. I've heard some say 250 but I think the 200 number is safer. Check the brush area if you can. I often see the brushes and the comm quite a bit hoter than the case. Also check after it sits for a while. Takes a good bit of time for the internal heat to radiate out to the case.

How are you checking the temps? I have a temp probe on a field bolt on the pit cart going to an Exray gauge cluster. I use a temp gun for the drag cart.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Anix your numbers look good. I have found a laser temp gun at HF very helpful in determining motor and connection temps.

Terry's stuff is running much closer to the upper limits.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Anix your numbers look good. I have found a laser temp gun at HF very helpful in determining motor and connection temps.

Terry's stuff is running much closer to the upper limits.
LOL...true. I'm an upper limit kind of guy.

I normally see around 160ish on the regular EZGO pit cart with normal runing around the neighborhood etc... even though it will push on up towards 190 if you just keep it hammered.

I also have the HF temp gun. Very useful and fun. Use it all the time. Take the temp of the cats, the ceiling, trees, motors, etc...
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
anix
Getting Wild

I have the HF temp gun also. These are all good things to know especially for folks considering modes for the first time. This info could keep someone from making a costly error. ScottyB you deal with cables a lot. Someone posted that using a lug with a larger ring than the stud could cause problems. Mine had #4 cable when I bought the cart but the lugs are 3/8 and the studs are 5/16. What is your opinion on this?
anix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by anix View Post
I have the HF temp gun also. These are all good things to know especially for folks considering modes for the first time. This info could keep someone from making a costly error. ScottyB you deal with cables a lot. Someone posted that using a lug with a larger ring than the stud could cause problems. Mine had #4 cable when I bought the cart but the lugs are 3/8 and the studs are 5/16. What is your opinion on this?
The concern is that the bigger hole on a smaller stud leads to less contact area. Reduced contact surface area can lead to resistance which = heat. To combat the situation you could use shouldered nuts and dielectric grease on all surfaces.
Get the HF gun and check your temps. I have found problem cable end connections as high as 135* on 75* day. Plus it works on the cat, the AC vents in house and car, the sky for ambient temp... lol
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
greg-g
Gone Wild

What is an HF temp gun where do you get them?
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car