lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 Lifted PDS DEAD

I have a 2002 EZ PDS that is lifted. Last year upgraded to Altrax and HD solenoid. Went out to check cart and it was dead. Wouldnt turn on or even charge. Bought 6 new batteries. Same thing..... I was looking around checking cables and noticied that the diod or capacitor on the large posts of the solenoid was extremely hot. I could even smell it...

Any suggestions??
infospecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 Lifted PDS DEAD

Solenoid welded shut?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

How can I tell?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Re: 2002 Lifted PDS DEAD

If the diode is welded shut this happens. Jack the cart up and put a volt meter on it. Just to be safe for the jacks.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

I have tested the votage and it pretty much reads 37.x volts everywhere. I already have it on jacks.... Are you talking about jumping the 2 large posts, to bypass the diode??? I already did that and there was quite a spark... I am not even getting the controller green light when the key is turned... I have my old solenoid, should I try replacing it temporarily?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by infospecs View Post
I have tested the votage and it pretty much reads 37.x volts everywhere. I already have it on jacks.... Are you talking about jumping the 2 large posts, to bypass the diode??? I already did that and there was quite a spark... I am not even getting the controller green light when the key is turned... I have my old solenoid, should I try replacing it temporarily?
Um, I'm just a noob to carts but I do know electronics....The Diode you are referring to is the supression diode across the coil of the solenoid, correct?

The diode should never get hot unless it's shorted. The diode is actually reversed biased in the circuit (+ to cathode, - to anode) and under normal conditions should have little or no current flowing through it.
The only time it will conduct is when voltage is removed from the solenoid and the magnetic field of the coil collapses, and only for a couple of milliseconds. This will not produce any heat.

Too much information I know but the bottom line is that the diode is likely shorted if it's hot.

edit: Not sure why you would need to jack the cart to check this. If you have an ohmmeter, use the continuity on the Rx1 scale and remove one end of the diode. With the pos lead on the Cathode (the end with the stripe) and the other lead on the Anode there should be no meter deflection. On a shorted diode there will be continuity (if you reverse the l;eads) in both directions.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you go back and read on his original post he calls it a diode but clearly states it is on the LARGE posts of the solenoid.
This means we are talking about the pre-charge resistor. with the key off is there power at both large posts of the solenoid? If so likely the solenoid contracts are welded shut.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Re: 2002 Lifted PDS DEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you go back and read on his original post he calls it a diode but clearly states it is on the LARGE posts of the solenoid.
This means we are talking about the pre-charge resistor. with the key off is there power at both large posts of the solenoid? If so likely the solenoid contracts are welded shut.
Yep missed it. Reading to fast.
If it's sparking as soon as you touch it with a jumper it's shorted out. Disconnect one of the battery cables. Doesn't matter which one. Then put the the jumper on it and hook the battery back up by touching it, see if it moves without the pedal pushed. If it doesn't them mash the peadl and see if it does.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sometimes people say diode when they mean resistor or speed controller when they mean speed wiper Heck they say F&R when they mean brake shoes

Is this solenoid in the trash can yet?
Don't put the stock solenoid on with the Alltrax for more than a test if you want. It will not handle the amperage... Stock was likely 70 -100 amp. you need a 200/800a peak solenoid

Also if your batteries are dead, flat. It is time to start recharging them in pairs with a 12v charger to get them up to where the cart charger can take over.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Sometimes people say diode when they mean resistor or speed controller when they mean speed wiper Heck they say F&R when they mean brake shoes

Is this solenoid in the trash can yet?
Don't put the stock solenoid on with the Alltrax for more than a test if you want. It will not handle the amperage... Stock was likely 70 -100 amp. you need a 200/800a peak solenoid

Also if your batteries are dead, flat. It is time to start recharging them in pairs with a 12v charger to get them up to where the cart charger can take over.
Or sometimes say large when they mean small? I too missed that....Just saw DIODE and the word hot.......
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altrax, dead, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO