lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default CC GX390 Conversion Auto Ignition Question

I'm converting my 1996 Club Car to a GX390 engine. I'm wondering how to hook the auto ignition start/stop switch in the electrical box to the GX390. I know which wire did this task for my old Fe290, but I don't know what switching is needed to hook it up to my GX390. The GX390 came off a generator and has a disconnected on/off switch on the shroud. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
stevenvjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Brad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: CC GX390 Conversion Auto Ignition Question

I did that swap on my 84 and all the wires matched up perfect.I ended up disconnecting the lower microswitch (the one with the single wire) so it would idle.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Brad,

Did your GX390 have a place to connect the white wire with black strip? Mine lacks a place to connect that wire. I'm wondering what connectivity is required to connect that to the GX390 because I don't see a spot for it to connect to the new engine.

Also, does yours run only when the gas pedal is depressed (like the stock CC), or do you have to shut it off with the ignition?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

GX you ground the ignition to shut it off. So if your cart goes hot 12v to run like my yamaha...then you put a relay on the cart and wire the ignition of the GX to be normally closed, on a typical bosh type relay with 5 pins. That way it ungrounds the ignition on the GX so it can run, when the cart powers up. On the yami the power goes to the key, then pedal switch, then to the ignitor (CDI). On the GX the low oil and kill switch ground the coil to stop it. So you could just jumper off the kill switch (use both sides) to the relay, when you let off the gas the relay would close just like the kill switch does.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
Brad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My 84 does not have a white with black tracer,and yes it started and stopped with pedal until I disconnected the lower microswitch,now I stop it with key or by putting it in neutral.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have to get a relay on the one I put in (clone 16hp clonda), but we cheated and just set the idle speed way too low so it stalls with no pedal. The ignition for it is on all the time, but if the throttle stuck the only way to stop it would be the choke. He is fine with it I said we will put the relay on it lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all of the ideas, folks! I feel confident now that I'll be able to rig something that'll work to my liking.

Tags
auto, cc gx390, club car, ignition
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!