lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
bersh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Is this starter worth fixing?

I've been having issues with my starter for a couple years. Last yer I took it off the cart and cleaned everything up, but couldn't get brushes locally and be the time I ordered them and they came in the cart was back together and running fine. Last week the cart started acting up again by only clicking, not starting the engine. The problem was getting more frequent and happening every couple holes, and when it did I had to pop the seat and smack it with an iron to get it working again. Here are pics of the brushes and armature. I have a set of brushes, but is the armature worth trying to dress up and use?

bersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Is this starter worth fixing?

Bersh it should be a requirement to post location in post or header.

A good generator rebuilder can turn that down and you will get
more life from it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
bersh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry, just updated my profile. I'm in Houghton, Michigan. We don't have any local shops to service these to that extent, so I'd be stuck sending it out somewhere. From what I've seen online, a new armature would cost more than a new starter on ebay. It's pretty worn, so I'm not sure how much more it could be turned down as that groove is probably 3/32" deep, if not a touch more.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hey i have raced in Houghton thats not the rear end of the world
Copper city is.

Chech with your largest parts store in your area.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You might be able to save it...take it to a motor/alternator shop and see what they can do. If the guy chucks it in a lathe or drill press and uses emory cloth on it instead of cutting it RUN to another re-builder.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I don't say this much, but WOW! That armature comutator end is worn out. I can't remember seeing one that worn. Useually when the brushes wear or stick, you get a "arched/damaged" comutator between the segments. Those are aftermarket brushes and very worn, the armature can't be turned at that stage, either buy a starter/generator complete or buy a new armature and new brushes. Thanks for the pictures, it really helps.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersh View Post
I've been having issues with my starter for a couple years. Last yer I took it off the cart and cleaned everything up, but couldn't get brushes locally and be the time I ordered them and they came in the cart was back together and running fine. Last week the cart started acting up again by only clicking, not starting the engine. The problem was getting more frequent and happening every couple holes, and when it did I had to pop the seat and smack it with an iron to get it working again. Here are pics of the brushes and armature. I have a set of brushes, but is the armature worth trying to dress up and use?

I know your starter looks worn out but, I would check the starter solenoid too. Bad contacts can cause the clicking you described. Bad solenoid contacts will cause a voltage drop at the brushes making for over heating. Causing more wear than normal on the commutator. When you hit the starter you may have jared the contacts thinking it was the starter. Check your battery cables and connections too. The smallest amount of resistance, even an 1/2 ohm can cause problems.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
bersh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I know your starter looks worn out but, I would check the starter solenoid too. Bad contacts can cause the clicking you described. Bad solenoid contacts will cause a voltage drop at the brushes making for over heating. Causing more wear than normal on the commutator. When you hit the starter you may have jared the contacts thinking it was the starter. Check your battery cables and connections too. The smallest amount of resistance, even an 1/2 ohm can cause problems.
The solenoid only makes a single click, which is what it's supposed to do, and from the testing I did with the voltmeter before I tore the starter out it seems to be fine. All of the solenoids I've seen go bad in vehicles and plows either don't click at all, or fire off like a machine gun (or semi-auto).
Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersh View Post
The solenoid only makes a single click, which is what it's supposed to do, and from the testing I did with the voltmeter before I tore the starter out it seems to be fine. All of the solenoids I've seen go bad in vehicles and plows either don't click at all, or fire off like a machine gun (or semi-auto).
So your telling me you placed your volt meter accross the solenoid power terminals with the starter in the circuit engaged and saw "0" volts across the solenoid? If you did then its good. I was an electrical service tech for large generators and motors for 33 yrs. This is the way I checked for bad contactors and switches. You should never see any voltage across a closed contact. A solenoid will still just click and be bad too.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
bersh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
So your telling me you placed your volt meter accross the solenoid power terminals with the starter in the circuit engaged and saw "0" volts across the solenoid? If you did then its good. I was an electrical service tech for large generators and motors for 33 yrs. This is the way I checked for bad contactors and switches. You should never see any voltage across a closed contact. A solenoid will still just click and be bad too.
I don't quite understand what you're asking. I followed the instructions in the sticky on this forum, advice from other posts in this forum, advice from other forums, and my own personal experience. Based on all this, I ruled the solenoid out as it's doing it's job. There was 12.6 volts from the solenoid to the post on the starter, which is the same reading as I was getting at the battery.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha