lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
jerry230
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO goes to full power when throttle barely pressed and no variance of speed

Hello. Working on a 2001 EZGO 6 seat cart. I acquired it with wiring issues. Apparently the previous owner wanted to rewire it and had no clue on what he was doing. I am 99% sure I have the wiring correct now. Being that I have never seen it run, I am kind of behind the curve somewhat.

It has a curtis controller and I have gone through the trouble shooting guide and I can't narrow down the problem.

Basically on jackstands, it will go full throttle as soon as the microswitch in the throttle is closed. As the plunger goes into the ITS sensor, the speed does not change. Its either on or off. The motor runs in both directions the same way.

Oddly, it will do this even with the ITS circuit totally unplugged at the controller, (Spade connectors 1, 2) as long as #3 has power from the solenoid.

I have changed out the ITS sensor with no change. I also question whether or not the plunger has a magnetic property that effects the ITS sensor? Can the plunger "loose" this magnetic property and can cause this?

It does not have the 4 pin molex connector and it is now hardwired from the throttle to the controller.

On the controller, it has spade connectors, 1,2,3 together and then a 4th one opposite of the 3 together. In looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like this one is for a back up buzzer? But I am not 100% sure if it needs to be hooked up to something since this cart does not have a buzzer.

I am leaning toward the controller being faulty but I would like to verify this first and if that is the problem, I would seek recommended alternative controllers.

Thanks for any help or advice.
jerry230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO goes to full power when throttle barely pressed and no variance of speed

What drive type is your buggy? Do you know the model number of your Curtis controller? Asking because you mentioned "spade" connectors on throttle.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Did you go through the troubleshooting in Chapter E of the "Technician's service and repair manual electric carts"? Do you already have the correct wiring diagram for your drive type?

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO goes to full power when throttle barely pressed and no variance of speed

Is it possible the wires to the controller are wired directly to the microswitch and bypassing the ITC?
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry230 View Post
Hello. Working on a 2001 EZGO 6 seat cart. I acquired it with wiring issues. Apparently the previous owner wanted to rewire it and had no clue on what he was doing. I am 99% sure I have the wiring correct now. Being that I have never seen it run, I am kind of behind the curve somewhat.

It has a curtis controller and I have gone through the trouble shooting guide and I can't narrow down the problem.

Basically on jackstands, it will go full throttle as soon as the microswitch in the throttle is closed. As the plunger goes into the ITS sensor, the speed does not change. Its either on or off. The motor runs in both directions the same way.

Oddly, it will do this even with the ITS circuit totally unplugged at the controller, (Spade connectors 1, 2) as long as #3 has power from the solenoid.

I have changed out the ITS sensor with no change. I also question whether or not the plunger has a magnetic property that effects the ITS sensor? Can the plunger "loose" this magnetic property and can cause this?

It does not have the 4 pin molex connector and it is now hardwired from the throttle to the controller.

On the controller, it has spade connectors, 1,2,3 together and then a 4th one opposite of the 3 together. In looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like this one is for a back up buzzer? But I am not 100% sure if it needs to be hooked up to something since this cart does not have a buzzer.

I am leaning toward the controller being faulty but I would like to verify this first and if that is the problem, I would seek recommended alternative controllers.

Thanks for any help or advice.
The iron slug is just that. Not a magnet.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

OP is describing a Shuttle-6 or similar cart with series drive using a Curtis 1204 or 1205 controller.

Attached is the service manual for a Shuttle-6
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cargo shuttle, shuttle,electric,6,28318G01R.pdf (16.13 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The wire on Pin-4 is 1/2 speed. Typically triggered by same microswitch that triggers revers beeper, but can be used as a kiddie mode so cart will only run at 1/2 speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
OP is describing a Shuttle-6 or similar cart with series drive using a Curtis 1204 or 1205 controller.

Aah. So Chapter G is controller troubleshooting.

Best I can tell this is a series?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
jerry230
Not Yet Wild

I'm 99% its a series. The PDF with the manual is it.

Perfect!

Thank You.

I'll try troubleshooting to confirm my suspicion that the controller is bad.
jerry230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A series cart I picked up a short while back had been wired completely wrong by its previous owner. The F/R was going bad, and I assume he was trying to troubleshoot the problem by wiring around the components. The way it was wired when I got it was the microswitch in the pedal box activated the solenoid which sent voltage to the motor which had been jumped to run in forward. After installing batteries, I hopped in, lightly depressed the accelerator, and WHAM! the cart jerked into full speed ahead! I got it back to my workspace, pulled out the battery pack, then unhooked all the wiring and wired according to the diagram.
That's when I found the bad F/R.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
country_bumpkin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Awesome find for this Shuttle-6 owner. Following this thread carefully.

Last edited by country_bumpkin; 03-20-2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: thanks
country_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO