lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 84 club car 36 volt with 6 - 8 volt batterys ??

Here we go...84 club car 36 volt...has several solenoids and 3 resistor coils. I was told by a club car dealer that if you want to speed up a early 48 volt cart....install a 36 volt motor !! Being as this cart has no controller ...can I put 6- 8 volt batteries in ? Are those solenoids 6 volt or 12 ? Would 48 volts burn out the resistor coils ?

Interested in your comments. Just bought cart w/ 6 dead batteries. Has 6" lift and custom wheels with big tires...thought if I could do this with no damage, it might pull better. Thanks for your input !!
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: 84 club car 36 volt with 6 - 8 volt batterys ??

To upgrade to 48v, you need to go Solid State, meaning getting rid of the resistor coils / solenoids and installing a controller drive system
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Putting 48v into a 36v resistor cart is not recommended. That style cart manages speed by passing current through those coils. All of the solenoids could be rewired to trigger on 36v as before, but it's a hassle. When the cart is at anything less than WOT the excess pack voltage is burned off across those resistor coils. Running 48v through those coils will greatly shorten their useful life. It's been done, but they never last long.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You will overheat the coils. You can keep the 36V motor and upgrade the batteries and go with solid state controller at 48V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 84 club car 36 volt with 6 - 8 volt batterys ??

Thanks everyone....previous owner used this on beach probably at 4 mph...Guess I'll just go new batteries and see if it can turn the big tires. Thanks !
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

These carts go 12-15 mph stock, so with the bigger tires you technically should be a little quicker than that. It will, however, slow down more on hills due to the loss of torque from the bigger tires.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car