lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Onward Stealth Stereo install

Here is a build thread for my stealth stereo install. I'll start with my overall cart theme is stealth. I want to have a super badass cart that appears showroom stock to passers by. The stereo would not have been possible without the help of BGW member Furyous and his amazing ability to think outside of the box.

Parts list:

Kenwood M1824BT amp (amazon)
Tang Band 3" module subwoofers (parts express)
Polk dB1001 marine tweeters (amazon)
Bose cube house speakers (eBay $25 score)

After the initial plan I decided to add a stand alone 12v lithium battery (autocraft lfp7), blue sea systems 6 gang fuse block (amazon) and led color changing underbody lights (eBay). That way I wouldn't have to touch any of the factory harness, it wouldn't draw from the main pack and in the event something happened with the accessories it wouldn't leave the cart dead needing to be pushed home.

Step 1, park the cart in the back yard under ceiling fan and quick access to the pool if I get too hot. It also helps that I can double dip working on the cart time with spending time with the wife and dogs.

Step 2

Figure out where to put the battery. Fortunately it fits with in between the floor and front bulkhead above the frame rails. Very snug fit and since it only weighs like 3lbs I secured it with zip ties. I also taped up the terminals after attaching the wires just in case it moves it won't short out. That's a trick I learned from race cars, always tape up exposed + terminals regardless of how they are mounted.

While I was under there I mounted the led lights

Note that these pics were taken at the end so the wire loom running down the frame in the last is actually the speaker wires

Next I moved to mounting the electrics on the seat bottom (amp, fuse block and relay). I decided to have the 12v panel to be hot with the key on so I wired the relay to the stock reducer, and I wired the NC side of the relay to the charger lead

And since I like to remove the seat when watering batteries I used waterproof plugs on all of the connections

Next step-pull roof and front body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Onward Stealth Stereo install

Here's what the Bose cube speakers look like going in. Since the grills are black plastic after you pull the Bose emblem and material off. You hardly notice them there even sticking your head under the dash

Measure up:

Cut and mount:

I also decided to mount the passive crossovers for the Tang subs and tweeters under the front body to hide them nicely as well

Ended up mounting the Tang speakers next to the roof bracket. You really hardly notice them there with the roof on. And the tweeters are shoe goo'd on the inside of the front roof lip. I painted them flat black and they blend right it with the roof. If I didn't point them out they are hard to notice even from the drivers seat.

Initial impression.... I was blown away. I couldn't believe the volume and sound quality of this fairly budget build. I've done very high end car stereos in my day and didn't think this quality level was possible for a couple hundred bucks worth of parts. If this was my wife's cart it would stop here. All I wanted originally was a budget setup that sounded better than the $28 motorcycle Bluetooth POS I had originally. And this fits the bill. At lower volume levels the subs crank and it really has a full sound. However the subs are limited at higher volume just because they don't have the surface area to move a ton of air.

So next challenge is figuring out how to hide a ton of bass. Furyous suggested transducers on the roof...

Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Onward Stealth Stereo install

Nice set up [emoji106]

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

For the transducers I ended up buying the same PPI 5 channel amp they Furyous bought for his Cougar Scooter. Amazingly it worked, however; at low volume. I guess these little guys just don't have enough mass to turn the roof into a huge sub with lots of volume. Although I will say they were just about an equivalent to the 8" bazooka tube I tried to experiment with. So even though they were not a complete success, they weren't a failure either. Sadly i blew them both up trying to get them as loud as the rest of the speakers. If there was more room between those channels to hide larger transducers I would definitely be trying them

If anyone wanted a great sound and does not plan on wanting ridiculous volume the transducers are the way to go. They are cheap $19/each and require very little power to run. Plus the concept is just super cool and nobody has them in a cart.

So now I'm thinking a 10-12" sub in a sealed box mounted underneath, above the motor is the only way I'm going to be able to scratch this preverbal itch. This stereo has been months in the making. When I first asked Furyous to help me come up with a way to have a killer radio that nobody will see he just gave me a weird look and was like "oh I love a challenge and like the idea, but I have no clue how to pull it off". 4 months, many many beers and a ton of head scratching later, and the finish line is getting close.

I'll finish this story once it's 100% done and take some better pictures of the tweeters and wiring in the roof. I never imagined it would turn out this well in both sound and appearances. By far exceeded my expectations.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice job. What did you end up going with?
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
Nice job. What did you end up going with?

Ended up with a 12” infinity sub. I’m very happy with the final results

Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Bobthefish19
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would highly suggest wetsounds soundbar and sub they are powered and waterproof. Bluetooth and sounds bad@ss
Bobthefish19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthefish19 View Post
I would highly suggest wetsounds soundbar and sub they are powered and waterproof. Bluetooth and sounds bad@ss

I haven’t heard one myself but I imagine they are amazing. However, I was going for a slamming system that is just about 100% hidden. The results completely exceeded my expectations, the imaging and clarity are off the hook. And it’s LOUD

Old 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

You have to post the latest pictures with the blue led and the hidden Infinity sub. We also need to put that grille over it.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous View Post
You have to post the latest pictures with the blue led and the hidden Infinity sub. We also need to put that grille over it.

Lol I’ve tried. Problem is I need a different audio source. When I open the camera app the music stops. But I did remember how to pair another phone so the next tinker night we can pull it off.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car