lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
gtrn116
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging

my charger is Tennant timer charger. model Y360. looks like someone put a different amp meter in it by lester. it has a spot for an LED that is labeled "abnormal cycle" and it looks like the amp meter is covering words. it blew the fuse, and since i know this is going to have a higher draw, can i just put in a larger one? would that solve my charging problem?

Yes i am running 12v backup batteries. I have a friend who works for the company that uses them and he got me 7 surplus ones for $60.
gtrn116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

So the charger is from a floor sweeper application right?
How many dc amps output?

....and the batteries are sealed gel 12v backup batteries.
OK then, what are the battery specifications?
How much does one battery weigh? Just curious.

I'm trying to help you but you have a rather unique power arrangement as it would relate to a normal golf cart.

Kudos for budget I'll bet.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
gtrn116
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

20 amps dc out. I guess it was floor sweeper application... i just bought the cart and it came with it.

Yes, sealed gel cell batteries.
Enersys DataSafe HX300-12FR - 12 Volt/284 Watts per Cell Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery

It is extremely unique... well. i cant really say that because my friend who got the batteries has the same setup but in a yamaha, and he cant tell me how he gets his charged so he's no help.

it's great for the budget. i only spent 175 on the cart with the charger, 60 on batteries and 60 on switches to get it running, then probably $30 to do a home-made lift kit, found 2 free mud tires... I'm on a roll.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Here is the data sheet on your battery. It gives you some information on charging.

HX300

Don't be a research weenie.

An interesting setup. I'll be anxious to hear about their performance. I hope you keep us informed on how these work over the long term. I am genuinely curious and hope you won't mind being the "guinea pig."

I've been researching AGM batteries for this application. No muss, no fuss but very expensive. My set of 4-1/2 year old Trojan T105's are still going very strong and I just retired a set of 30XHS Trojans that were used daily since 2003 in a Tennant floor sweeper. Hard to beat that.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
gtrn116
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

nicely done. yeah i dont mind being a guinea pig. my cart as of now is alright i'm just having problems with the body. i have lifted it 6 inches with a homemade kit out of flatstock and basement supports. i like it. now if i can only get it to charge...

i looked at the data sheet and it says nothing about amperage. it does say i can go at a high charge rate, but what would that be? how could i adapt my charger to charge these batteries?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

If you want them to work you're going to have to do some leg work. Contact the battery manufacturer and see if their tech support will help you out. You might be fine with the current charger but I'd let them tell you. You have quite a bit of value in those batteries if they're new. Do what the battery manufacturer suggests even if it means breaking into your budget.

JMO.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #17
gtrn116
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well the manufacturer said i can use the charger. i got fuses and it keeps burning them up. what could be wrong in my charger that it keeps doing this?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Fuses protect circuit components
A fuse is designed to "blow" by creating an open circuit to protect more expensive circuit components from damage in the event of an over-voltage or over-current condition.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
gtrn116
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes i know what a fuse is for. I know something is wrong with my charger but not what, and i am looking for ideas as to what is making my fuse blow. I turn my timer dial on, when there's a new fuse in, and as soon as i turn it on, you hear the pop, and the fuse has blown. any ideas what is shorting it out?

Tags
12 volt, battery, charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO