lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Default basic runability questions

so I traded an old Honda minibike for what I believe is a gas Harley cart... I don't have the vin right now as the carts not at my new place till tomorrow.

I need to know some basics about how to see if this thing runs. its in rough shape but Im determined to make it run. the switch right below the seat was broken when I got it and I believe that's the directional switch. So I know that's an issue.. is there a way to bypass this just to get the motor to run???

on/off switch or key to start or turn on looks non existant so is there a power switch then upon moving the gas pedal it knows when to start on its own??
or is there actually a key start that activates a starter??

is there a fuel pump?? seams like the tank was metal but I don't remember for sure??

basic starting point for fuel mixture?? its two stroke so is there any other fluids I need to be aware of??

I know I need fuel air and spark but since theres no pull start I have to have a starting method where do I begin??

Any help would be greatly appreciated I need to smash the links!!!!!
rwsqurl153@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: basic runability questions

There is a manual on line Free on this site:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...ls-HD-Service/
There is also a parts manual.
Re broken F/R switch:
I have read in this forum of a system used by Yamaha that employs 2 solenoids being adapted to Harleys. OR I am confident that when studying this forum or the manual it could be determined which leads at the F/R which are connected in each position they could be creatively jumped to test run.
Recently there was a good F/R switch on Ebay.
As for the ignition switch; wire trace with manual.
As for mixture I believe posted many times here on the forum 1.5 oz./US Gallon.
Good luck
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

So long as the engine turns that thing WILL run. The forum will absolutely need a year to give you good advice though. The year is embedded in the vin so post the vin and someone will tell you what year it is. A bit of internet research will allow you to do this yourself. Just google "what year is my golf cart" or something similar and you'll find information.

"On - off" switch location and type varies by year. Yes, they may be able to be bypassed but no one can tell you how until the year is known. Yes, these carts have fuel pumps but those too vary by year. Some are built into the carb via diaphragms, others are external. Both types use engine vacuum to move gas so they aren't traditional electric pumps that most people are accustomed to.

There are some unbelievably knowledgeable experts on this forum. Post a question and be patient. Someone will help.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Oh, to answer your other questions, the key switch is primarily directional only (doesn't activate a starter). Pressing the accelerator pedal is what actually starts the ignition process.

There may be other fluids in that cart, depending on year. Some have a "wet" clutch and others dry. I believe all have oil in the differential.

As a starting point, you are going to have work on getting that forward / reverse switch fixed then go from there.

Get the year and get a manual!
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

thanks for all the info everyone!! The wife says I gotta get my new toy goin or else and online forums are awesome!!

Anyways I brought the ole girl home and the vin is 3B 10860 H5 so I looked it up and I believe its a 75 model D??

So I looked for some info on the f/r switch to see if I could delete it or use a toggle and didn't really find anything.........so is there a way to tackle making the motor run without it or using a toggle similar to newer carts?? I noticed all the wires goin to it are pretty big and probably not just gonna hook to a toggle?? again thanks for all the info!!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

also I was wondering I heard these things ran in reverse with electic?? seams unlikely to me with only one battery.................I feal like it would be more like modern snowmobiles and the motor would turn in reverse?? any thoughts??
Old 03-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The engine is a 2 cycle and quite happy to run backwards. The starter/generator turns the engine the direction the forward/reverse switch tells it to. The engine starts and runs either way. Ron
Ron Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Craigs carts
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Keep an eye out for a donor cart you can take pats off of. vintage has the switch but it's $185.
Craigs carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

can someone explain how the accelerator switch works for me please......the key switch had been bypassed so theres a push button start.

So im wondering does the accelerator switch stop the starter generator from running once the gas is pushed??

or does the switch engage the starter?? and if so how does the generator know when to quit running??

Ive got the manuel and just don't understand this system cause the switch is gone and the push button start has me lost........ thanks for your help!!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Attached should be a screen capture from a buggies unlimited post that I found with a google search "how does a starter/generator work".
I have, as I recall seen similar descriptions in the past.
Hope it helps.
Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 11.01.06 AM.png (130.7 KB, 0 views)
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson