lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent 58v lithium build.

Thanks to E36 racer build thread I was able to get my own going. I still have some tweaking to do and some wiring to clean up but the cart is a blast!http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ad3e351...-597691810.mp4

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
sandbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Precedent 58v lithium build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
Thanks to E36 racer build thread I was able to get my own going. I still have some tweaking to do and some wiring to clean up but the cart is a blast!http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ad3e351...-597691810.mp4

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Need a count down for that thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
sandbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Nice!
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
d_wittenborn
Not Yet Wild

I am working on similar project.
Chevy Volt lithium battery’s modified to 14s to get 58volts.
Alltrax 500 amp controller
400 amp solenoid

I’m trying to decide if I should use one or two modules of the Volt battery’s
Each pack will have a KWH rating of 2.2 KWH at 50.4 volt nominal, and about 58 volts fully charged.
I will have a 295 watt solar panel helping keep it charged when the sun shines....
Do you guys think one pack will be sufficient? Or should I install both?
If I go with just one, I’ll have lots of room to do clean wiring install.
Really just need to approximate the range of standard 4 12v lead acid.
Thanks, I always appreciate the help this forum provides.
Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
d_wittenborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wittenborn View Post
I am working on similar project.
Chevy Volt lithium battery’s modified to 14s to get 58volts.
Alltrax 500 amp controller
400 amp solenoid

I’m trying to decide if I should use one or two modules of the Volt battery’s
Each pack will have a KWH rating of 2.2 KWH at 50.4 volt nominal, and about 58 volts fully charged.
I will have a 295 watt solar panel helping keep it charged when the sun shines....
Do you guys think one pack will be sufficient? Or should I install both?
If I go with just one, I’ll have lots of room to do clean wiring install.
Really just need to approximate the range of standard 4 12v lead acid.
Thanks, I always appreciate the help this forum provides.
Dennis

I'll be very interested to see what you do to a Volt pack to get 58V out of it. They are very difficult to separate because the cell terminals are spot welded together. The Volt pack unaltered is 50.4V fully charged. You must have found a way to peel off a couple of cells to make the modification. Please post pics.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
DennisWitt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post

I'll be very interested to see what you do to a Volt pack to get 58V out of it. They are very difficult to separate because the cell terminals are spot welded together. The Volt pack unaltered is 50.4V fully charged. You must have found a way to peel off a couple of cells to make the modification. Please post pics.
Here is one of them charged with accusense charger, which shuts off reliably below the 4.2 v per cell max charge.
Very interested to hear your thoughts on one or two packs, PingEye3. Your experience is well respected.

DennisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Dennis, I've been researching most of the day today on how to do exactly what you're doing without having to separate cells. Very difficult and dangerous it seems. How did you tie the additional 2 cells in with the 12s module?

I think you'd have enough range out of the 1 pack to probably equal 4 12V FLA batteries. I can't remember where now, but i found where a guy in a Hyundai cart reported around 15 miles with 1 pack. Riso, a member here, said he was getting 25 or 35 miles out of 2 packs equaling 94ah.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
d_wittenborn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Dennis, I've been researching most of the day today on how to do exactly what you're doing without having to separate cells. Very difficult and dangerous it seems. How did you tie the additional 2 cells in with the 12s module?

I think you'd have enough range out of the 1 pack to probably equal 4 12V FLA batteries. I can't remember where now, but i found where a guy in a Hyundai cart reported around 15 miles with 1 pack. Riso, a member here, said he was getting 25 or 35 miles out of 2 packs equaling 94ah.

I used a Dremel tool to cut the black plastic top. This is a bit dangerous, but with appropriate care I’ve been able to successfully complete this twice. You must cut the metal connector, this is tedious with the dremel, as you must be careful not to go too deep. However, there is metal embedded in the plastic that must be cut, so if it doesn’t separate, you have to go deeper.
On the main pack, cut the black plastic at the ends just enough to remove the end plate. (Make sure you pay attention to the polarity to achieve 14s series). After separating this section of 2s, (on the last section, one pouch goes with the other stays behind....this should be evident when you get that far) add it and it’s endcap to the main pack. On one of the packs, I folded the metal connectors down and attempted to solder. This did not work well. On the other, I just folded them down and slid one of the buss bar connectors from pack disassembly between and underneath. This made a solid connection when I cinched the top of the pack together with large zip tie.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWitt View Post
Here is one of them charged with accusense charger, which shuts off reliably below the 4.2 v per cell max charge.
Very interested to hear your thoughts on one or two packs, PingEye3. Your experience is well respected.

Thanks for that picture. I figured it would look something like you had done there. They aren't very easy separate to add the cells but are cheaper than leaf modules, though with lower AH capacity. Nick thought they weren't worth the effort to be able to reconfigure them to sell a 58V pack. For a DIY project it is probably worth it. Good job.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
d_wittenborn
Not Yet Wild

Decided to go with 2 packs to maximize amps available and to extend range. Cart has tons of torque. Still running stock motor...trying to decide if I want to upgrade the motor while I’m at it.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!