Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Our Turf Rider IV 4 Wheel - Restoration Project

Having a look at the 50 year old fiberglass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 6 (62).jpg (430.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Day 6 (64).jpg (343.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Day 6 (68).jpg (393.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Day 6 (72).jpg (368.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Day 6 (78).jpg (454.1 KB, 0 views)
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 3-lug hubs are a real problem. I've asked numerous fabricators to quote adapters to allow for a 4-lug configuration.

All but one said they were not interested. The one said they could do it for $400. I'm likely to move in a completely different direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 6 (4).jpg (295.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Day 6 (6).jpg (230.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Day 6 (7).jpg (420.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Front Hub 2.jpg (325.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Front Hub dimensional.jpg (285.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

The inspiration for the color portion of my restoration comes from the Mustang. I plan to do a Grabber Blue with white stripes.

I'm also restoring (at the same time) a 1963 Harley Davidson Topper scooter. The Topper will be done in the same paint scheme.

All fiberglass has been delivered to the body / paint shop. I hope to have everything returned to me by late February.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mockup (5).jpg (290.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mockup (4).JPG (179.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5299.jpg (267.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5303.jpg (229.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5305.jpg (298.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know - it's not a golf cart. But these two projects are occurring at the same time, so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 HD Topper (33).jpg (410.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1963 HD Topper (36).jpg (371.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4024.jpg (367.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4907.jpg (490.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4977.jpg (335.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wink Re: Our Turf Rider IV 4 Wheel - Restoration Project

Expanding on what I said a few posts ago, I'm inclined to consider a new direction for the Turf Rider IV restoration.

The unknowns involving the electrics of the TR are a bit intimidating. Aside from having to spend $600 or so on batteries, what if other components are bad and obsolete? When combined with $400 just to be able to use 4 lug wheels, I'm beginning to question the quest for complete authenticity.

Therefore, I've begun searching for an old gas cart with a similar wheelbase. The Club Car DS and Precedent are within 1/2 inch of the existing 66" wheelbase of the TR. If successful finding a DS or Precedent at a reasonable (inexpensive) price, I'll retrofit the TR body and canopy, etc. onto a CC chassis.

My preference is for a gas cart, and perhaps I can purchase a small welder and put the very-limited skills I acquired in trade school to the test. This is going to get interesting.

I'd welcome all comments. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

You have taken on a challenge! Could you not buy a new hub to fit the spindle? This will defeat a true restoration but seems a reasonable give and take... Also, why not have the existing wheels painted or chromed? Sorry if asking a question you may have already posted the answer to.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
You have taken on a challenge! Could you not buy a new hub to fit the spindle? This will defeat a true restoration but seems a reasonable give and take... Also, why not have the existing wheels painted or chromed? Sorry if asking a question you may have already posted the answer to.
Thank you, Epb. I do not how I would go about measuring and seeking a proper retrofit for the hubs. But as for the existing wheels, they're only 6 inches. Simply for looks, I'd like bigger wheels and low profile tires.

As much as I'm not looking forward to all of that, it's the electric system that scares me. This cart (when finished) will be stored for most of the year at our cottage (180 miles from home) and used very sporadically. Spending all of that money on batteries - without the ability to keep a constant charge on them - doesn't seem wise.

My interest in these carts is purely visual. I really like the body, and while I know its worth will never equal my investment, I'm OK with that.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 AM   #18
cadroit1@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Hi, I'm restoring a TR IV 4 wheel, and have no motor, charger, relays, or wiring harness. I would like to mount a newer motor & relays. Is this the right approach? Or..... Is anyone selling their old parts? thanks.
cadroit1@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #19
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Turf Rider's, when finished can take your breath away. The question is....do you want to "restore" it to factory original or "upgrade" the running gear and keep the wonderfull stock outside apperance? The main frame is so heavy that even with controller/battery/rear end/motor upgrades it will not be fast. To try to fab all the body and bumper parts to another frame (only in my opinion) would be a nightmare. There are transaxles you can make fit, I used a early Yamaha and short axle tube assy's to fit. If there is need, it can be done.....you just have to decide witch derection you want to go. Don't stop building!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadroit1@aol.com View Post
Hi, I'm restoring a TR IV 4 wheel, and have no motor, charger, relays, or wiring harness. I would like to mount a newer motor & relays. Is this the right approach? Or..... Is anyone selling their old parts? thanks.

If mine did not have the original parts, I would not hesitate to move toward a gas retrofit. My pause is only that I do have those parts, yet I have zero electric skills. Perhaps you and I can work something out. Send me a private message with your email address.

Where are you located, and can you post photos of your TR?

Tags
fiberglass, onboard, restoration, turf, turf rider
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration