lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 88 Ezgo Driven Clutch Problem ???????

Not sure if it's the driven clutch or something in the differential.

I had drove my cart yesterday. Stopped got back in and went to go. heard a clunk and a high pitched noise, sounded like something was stripped out. Removed the drive belt and towed it to the garage.
Went out today and I could move the 2 plates that the belt goes on rather easily. went I turn them both together I get about a half revolution and I feel resistance.
Put the drive belt back on and started the cart, under low speed the cart will move ( without me in the cart) , forward and back. give it more gas and the clutch just spins.
Any suggestions on what it could be or what I need to check out next. Thinking about pulling the diff cover off, and taking a look.

Thank in advance !
nsmithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 88 Ezgo Driven Clutch Problem ???????

Probably a stripped hub in one of the rear wheels. They are splined and will strip out over the years. Jack cart up and see if you can turn one wheel and the other does not move with someone holding it. Now if it moves without you in it, it may be grabbing enough to move it but when real power needed the shaft turns inside hub. If you replace one I would do both hubs.
Had that happen to mine but I was out in my garden and when I got back on to go it just would not move but engine run fine. towed into shop and found problem.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm leaning towards broken spring in the driven clutch, but give the above a shot, RC knows his stuff too. There are 3 holes in the driven clutch which allow You to "Clock" or tension the spring, I have actually broken off the part of the spring that engages the hole and had an almost exact experience as You have described - although again, a bad hub would likely sound and act quite similarly. With an 8d8 (cant type 88 or that happens) Dana rear end, a stripped hub or axle shaft would do as described but IMHO not in reverse too, as the other shaft/hub would engage ...

Definitely following this one, keep us posted - FWIW, did You check and see that the driven clutch was bolted down securely? As a rule, if it's not, it will cause huge belt misalignment (dead giveaway) but if something is slipping, it's either the input shaft/clutch, the clutch itself (as I described) or the axle/hub. As a last resort, if the spring slipped but didn't break in the driven clutch (which bad helix or ramps can cause, as well as a worn spring) then in conjunction with a worn belt, the same sort of scenario could play out (albeit without the noise You describe) - Go with RC's advice and check the wheels first, then we unwind from there
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you gentlemen, I will give both ideas a shot and keep you posted on my findings. I have the dust cover off, but never paid much attention to the spring.

Thanks fo the information!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

RC, And BrewCityMusic, thank you for you replies.

I finally got out to investigate the situation. RC you were spot on. Driver side splines in the hub are about worn smooth. the passenger side looks ok, but taking your advice and replacing both.

BrewCityMusic, you mentioned the clutch spring. should I be able to compress it by hand? Because I can, do I need to replace the spring? I have to pull the clutch off anyhow, have a seal leaking behind the clutch I need to replace. Also is there a better performance spring I replace it with.

Thanks a million again !
Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
redcloud
Gone Wild

glad to hear you found the bad spline. Good way to go on replacing both. No need to have the other one go when you are out on a trail or some thing.
You can get a high torque spring kit for that clutch. I did for mine and it is very good at low end now and goes up the big hill at lake michigan without any trouble. May as well stick new buttons on as well as they are not real pricey and saves time for later. Check ebay for the spring or the other cart shops on line. Good luck.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for all your help.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Morgan44
Gone Wild

That driven clutch spring is different along with the buttons from the kits they sell. I believe the kits are for 89 and up.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So far all I can find is for 89 and up. Still looking thou.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

do a Youtube search for "EZGO Clutch Clocking" - You should be able to set your spring tighter and get a LOT more torque from the factory setting. And the ramp buttons on the 88 IIRC are the same as 87-down
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO