lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
rworley
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Do I have a Transmission or Hub problem?

I had a perfectly good working electric EZGO Textron – 27647-G01 then I let my 15 year old and three of his buddies take it for a spin, within a half hour it would no longer move on flat ground, thanks boys!!

Anyway, now when I step on the pedal I hear a whinny sound (as if something is turning.

I did so research on here and found a great thread where someone said to; Jack it up, hold the brake step on the pedal and whichever hub spins it has a stripped hub. I did that and everything was as advertised, upon testing the passenger tire spun, I took both tires off anyway just to have a look(first timer doubts) and sure enough the hub on the passenger side was dust with no teeth on the female(in side of tire) and the driver side was fine.

So problem solved ….? Well, I don’t know because then I got the idea to hold on to the axles on each side while stepping on the pedal, I held on loosely because what I thought would happen is that either axle would rip my hand off with a tight grip. NOPE! Both sides gave no resistance to an index finger and thumb pitch hold.

So the question, am I screwed? Doesn’t this mean I need the Rear Axle and/or gear box replaced. Or am I just mechanically dumb and somehow I really only still need the passenger side hub.

Hope the answer comes back that I’m dumb with a little explanation to why I can hold the Drive axles with my fingertips but yet these can still power the cart once Hub and Wheels are back on.

Thanks all, I hope I did everything right this is my first post.
rworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do I have a Transmission or Hub problem?

When you hold one of the axles, is the other side spinning? With both wheels off the ground, you should be able to hold one or the other, but if you put one wheel on the ground with a safety chock and hold the other side with no movement at all, you have problems. What you are describing sounds like you are able to stop one side or the other independently which is normal differential operation.

Now that you need a new hub(s), you may as well look into upgrading your brakes to the Ausco disc brakes that scottyb has on sale. His kit comes with new heavy duty hubs so for slightly more investment, you get upgraded hubs and upgraded brakes at the same time.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Likely your boys stripped out a rear hub. In their defense it could have been worn, weak, and ready to give out - kids just take everything to the breaking point. Including parents. LOL

TO check for stripped hub, remove hub cap, observe axle castle nut while somebody tries to go. If the nut turns but the wheel does not - you got a stripped hub. Check both sides. It only takes one side to fail to stop the cart.
This is a known Ezgo problem - relatively easy to fix.
See the HD upgraded hubs on my website
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Likely your boys stripped out a rear hub. In their defense it could have been worn, weak, and ready to give out - kids just take everything to the breaking point. Including parents. LOL
Kids ain't the only ones. I believe in gettin' my money's worth, even if it costs me to fix things I break.

I should get a job at Consumers Reports, doing stress testing.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL I think most of us on a forum like this are guilty of pushing things to the max and beyond. It is the main reason I never played with nitrous. I would just keep stepping up a pill every pass until it was full tilt and then I would add a second stage and keep pushing it until something went bang. Then instead of backing off, I would just try to build the engine to handle what broke it last time except now we would just have capacity for more nitrous!

The cart is no different. Instead of 48v, I should just go to 72v right away! At least I did order a 500 amp controller instead of starting with a 400 amp.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
LOL I think most of us on a forum like this are guilty of pushing things to the max and beyond. It is the main reason I never played with nitrous. I would just keep stepping up a pill every pass until it was full tilt and then I would add a second stage and keep pushing it until something went bang. Then instead of backing off, I would just try to build the engine to handle what broke it last time except now we would just have capacity for more nitrous!

The cart is no different. Instead of 48v, I should just go to 72v right away! At least I did order a 500 amp controller instead of starting with a 400 amp.
I did medical grade nitrous in college, but not in mechanical devices, only in biological units. Georgia Tech always had BIG containers doing some experiment. Fridays were a good time to make a midnight run with a hand-truck.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
rworley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
What you are describing sounds like you are able to stop one side or the other independently which is normal differential operation.
720Deere, Thank you so much. So I am dumb, lol. Anyway you nailed it I only grabbed one side at a time never even thought to in the whole posi-traction(or whatever you call it) mode.

I'll try it tonight holding both sides. I assume if at that point while holding both at the same time, one or both should be able to twist out of my grip correct? This meaning I have no issue other than a hub(s)

However if I can hold both at the same time then I'm screwed... Correct?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
rworley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Now that you need a new hub(s), you may as well look into upgrading your brakes to the Ausco disc brakes that scottyb has on sale. His kit comes with new heavy duty hubs so for slightly more investment, you get upgraded hubs and upgraded brakes at the same time.
And one more question, If it turns out I only need hubs, is there any chance that ScottB's upgraded hubs could strip the male axles since the hub females would be the stronger metal and wouldn't this be a harder fix than just buying more hubs?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworley View Post
And one more question, If it turns out I only need hubs, is there any chance that ScottB's upgraded hubs could strip the male axles since the hub females would be the stronger metal and wouldn't this be a harder fix than just buying more hubs?
Most people tire of buying OEM hubs sooner or later and get the HD ones. IF using our hardened hubs resulted in a lot of stripped axles then we would sell hardened axles as well but, it doesn't and we don't. Make sure the splines are in good shape and put anti-seize paste on the splines during assembly to fill any voids. Mostly change your driving habits. Like come to a stop between forward and reverse. And never roll back and slam on the gas.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworley View Post
Yes there is a chance, but it is a possibility rather than a probability.

There are three spline couplings and four gear interfaces between the motor and rims, and there is a possibility any of them could fail if enough torque was applied, however the tires are more likely to loose traction and spin, or the tire bead to slip on the rim.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hubs, transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO