lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Predator engine for G9

Is there a thread explaining everything I need to know about switching to a Predator 420 in my G9? What all has to be done? I want to decide if I can do this myself right now or if I have to find someone to do it for me.
If I have to hire someone I probably can't afford it. : But we'll see.
A buddy ran this G9 without oil last fall. It sill starts, but it SMOKES pretty badly. I might try to find another stock engine and just use this for parts.
Anyway, I'd like to get it running again -- as yard art it just isn't to my wife's preference.
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator engine for G9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUBADOUR View Post
Is there a thread explaining everything I need to know about switching to a Predator 420 in my G9? What all has to be done? I want to decide if I can do this myself right now or if I have to find someone to do it for me.
If I have to hire someone I probably can't afford it. : But we'll see.
A buddy ran this G9 without oil last fall. It sill starts, but it SMOKES pretty badly. I might try to find another stock engine and just use this for parts.
Anyway, I'd like to get it running again -- as yard art it just isn't to my wife's preference.
Troub,

Got a stock engine that I was going to put on eBay. I need to check compression first this week and then pull it. PM me.
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Look in the clone section. There are some kits now check vegas carts, for clone mounts, I don't know of others off hand. You still may have to fabricate exhaust and airbox parts and little of this an that. I had most of my exhaust made by robertson tt, it was not that much, then used a car muffler. Get a 420cc or 440 etc. The extra torque is impressive, and if you toss HD springs on it they rev pretty good. Long as you don't run roads WOT top rpm they seem to do ok, though once in a while someone breaks one.

Anyway, the clone makes great power for cheap....but the other side is you have to piece it together its a project while the stock engine you can replace in 20 min or something. I love my cart with the clone in it, but you know, I like to spin the tires too. Once you get it all working you can drive it just like a stock cart if you want, mine still has the pedal start and its pretty quiet until you step down on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'd say it's prob cheaper to rebuild the one you have, since it's running. If it's running ok but blowing smoke, look to new rings and valve seals. If you take it apart and the crank is shot, that might be another story.

Of course, a good used engine is also a nice alternative, provided the price is right.

Clone builds can be cheap if you can fabricate your own mount and brackets etc. The engine's are around $400, you'll need a clutch adapter $50, and a belt or two $70, a relay or toggle switch $15, so about $550. If you use the VC440, you'll need to add $$ for an exhaust and intake/filter setup.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yeah 400-600 depending on what you do, not counting other worn out parts like my new clutches lol.

Years back before I wanted to put my first clone in, the yami dealer told me if I bring my engine in (running fine but oil smoke when hot) bare he would swap me a rebuilt for $600. If I brought my cart in it would be at least $1K. Then I found a more powerful 420 clone for $345 I think, was electric start, and that was the start down the road to funsville... Never have used the elec start though, just use the gen. So the second one I did was not elec start.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

sho what setup/motor did you use for this? 420 clone?
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha