lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 18hp V-Twin need more power

You tire size is your gearing, unless you do HS gears.

The issue I see with some BB engines is the stock clutch might shift out at 3500-4K range (typical for golf carts, WOT rpm) and if your governor on the BB is 3600rpm (standard for lawn engines) it starts to cut power before that. See what can happen? That is why a stock cart has no governor on the engine only on the trans for ground speed. Some have a limiter in the ignition. Usually you can tweak the governor on the BB to run 4K rpm that might help you out, or you are not getting full power. The clutch must shift at rpm below where the governor starts to cut throttle....or raise the governor rpm. With a rev kit you can run up to 6K on a vanguard, so many remove the governor and run a rev kit. Your top speed is a matter or gearing and tire diameter, and of course engine rpm, but you don't want to run roads at 6K rpm either you should get HS gears for that. 6K rpm is only for a quick blast unless you build up the engine. They still have max power at 3500-4500rpm with the stock cam, so remember that and get the clutch to shift accordingly.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CART-ZILLA View Post
ello mate sorry i always wanted to do that no disrespect yeah that governer is holding you back check out the gov removal sticky it should get you on the right path of better performance
My cart is a Workhorse, and the factory gov was in the rear axle. I installed the CPP Rev-Kit with high compression head gaskets. After installing the Rev-Kit I disconnected the cable running to the factory gov in the axle and connected the throttle cable from the gas pedal to the carb. All of this really opened up my carts potential. My driven clutch came apart internally, so I put a new stock 36 degree ez-go clutch on it Thursday night. I took a run up and down an asphalt street with my GPS, ran a consistent 30 MPH @ 5k RPM. My engine will not run over 5k RPM's, but it has a ton of torque all the way from idle to 5k.

I just returned from the CAW Spring Trail Ride, and I had no trouble climbing hills. I went on some nasty trails, dry and muddy, and my cart pulled hard without ever going over 3,500 RPM. Since my cart is used mostly off-road I'm not concerned with top speed. It's fun to make a fast pass every once in a while, but I prefer riding off-road.
BlackBerryHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
You tire size is your gearing, unless you do HS gears.

The issue I see with some BB engines is the stock clutch might shift out at 3500-4K range (typical for golf carts, WOT rpm) and if your governor on the BB is 3600rpm (standard for lawn engines) it starts to cut power before that. See what can happen? That is why a stock cart has no governor on the engine only on the trans for ground speed. Some have a limiter in the ignition. Usually you can tweak the governor on the BB to run 4K rpm that might help you out, or you are not getting full power. The clutch must shift at rpm below where the governor starts to cut throttle....or raise the governor rpm. With a rev kit you can run up to 6K on a vanguard, so many remove the governor and run a rev kit. Your top speed is a matter or gearing and tire diameter, and of course engine rpm, but you don't want to run roads at 6K rpm either you should get HS gears for that. 6K rpm is only for a quick blast unless you build up the engine. They still have max power at 3500-4500rpm with the stock cam, so remember that and get the clutch to shift accordingly.
I have tried to find out if my Workhorse has lower gearing in the rear axle than a standard cart, but nobody has been able to give me an answer. Do you know how I can find out what gear ratio my cart has without pulling apart the rear end?

I'm running 26" tires on 10" wheels, but they are Super Swamper Vampires and have tall lugs. My brother thinks my top speed comes from having tall tires because he thinks ez-go installed lower gearing in the workhorses. My brother has a TXT with the original factory rear end. His engine is the same as mine except he installed the performance cam from CPP. His tires are 23" Saharas on 14" wheels and he can run much faster than me. We know the performance cam makes a huge difference, but are curious about the rear axle gearing.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
jimjan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

CART-ZILLA, close mate but should be: Gidday mate, how are they hangin?

ello is Pommy(England)

Thanks everyone for the great info so far. I am really enjoying learning all of this stuff.The Governor does not seem to have anything external hooked up to it. Is that normal? I am trying to post a photo of the Governor but it is not very clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3692.jpg (132.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3431.jpg (239.3 KB, 0 views)
jimjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjan View Post
CART-ZILLA, close mate but should be: Gidday mate, how are they hangin?

ello is Pommy(England)

Thanks everyone for the great info so far. I am really enjoying learning all of this stuff.The Governor does not seem to have anything external hooked up to it. Is that normal? I am trying to post a photo of the Governor but it is not very clear.
POMMY ... thanks for keeping me straight
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryHill View Post
I have tried to find out if my Workhorse has lower gearing in the rear axle than a standard cart, but nobody has been able to give me an answer. Do you know how I can find out what gear ratio my cart has without pulling apart the rear end?

I'm running 26" tires on 10" wheels, but they are Super Swamper Vampires and have tall lugs. My brother thinks my top speed comes from having tall tires because he thinks ez-go installed lower gearing in the workhorses. My brother has a TXT with the original factory rear end. His engine is the same as mine except he installed the performance cam from CPP. His tires are 23" Saharas on 14" wheels and he can run much faster than me. We know the performance cam makes a huge difference, but are curious about the rear axle gearing.
If your workhorse has the locking differential from ezgo you have a 13.7 to 1 gearing.
Beaner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

If it was my 18hp, looking for more low end pwr, I would install the advance key, remove the gov, per the sticky, and advance your stock cam one tooth. I would install the rev kit, If you felt like you were not going to build it any more. If you think you might, go for the new springs. When you do the rev kit, depending on how old your motor is, make sure you have the purple valve springs. They are the stiffest single springs made by briggs. If you need a set, I have some that I will send. When you remove the gov, and the crap that goes with it you will also kill the compression release, so make sure your starting system is in order. Good, thick cables, and good connections, or sometimes you will be turning the motor off the compression stroke by hand to start. Do you have a free flowing exhaust? A stock 18, with a rev kit, tuned right, will scoot!
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner913 View Post
If your workhorse has the locking differential from ezgo you have a 13.7 to 1 gearing.
How can I tell if my differential has a locker? When I jack up the rear end and rotate the tires by hand, turn left forward the right rotates rearward and vice-versa. I just looked at rear ends on the ezgo parts site, but everything now comes with the same gear ratio.

My cart runs great now, just wondering how to get more speed without changing the cam. The rev-kit, high compression head gaskets and bypassing the gov in the rear end really made my cart come alive. Just seems like I should be getting more speed. The engine has very low hours and is running excellent now so it seems there could be something else to work on for more speed.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryHill View Post
How can I tell if my differential has a locker? When I jack up the rear end and rotate the tires by hand, turn left forward the right rotates rearward and vice-versa. I just looked at rear ends on the ezgo parts site, but everything now comes with the same gear ratio.

My cart runs great now, just wondering how to get more speed without changing the cam. The rev-kit, high compression head gaskets and bypassing the gov in the rear end really made my cart come alive. Just seems like I should be getting more speed. The engine has very low hours and is running excellent now so it seems there could be something else to work on for more speed.
your cart has the low end gearing in it. it was a 1200 which had those gears. to gain more speed you will have to change gears. the cam doesnt really give you more speed, it just gives you more power in the upper rpm band. also with your tires, i wouldnt try pushing for more speed because you will loose stability.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 18hp V-Twin need more power

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake80 View Post
your cart has the low end gearing in it. it was a 1200 which had those gears. to gain more speed you will have to change gears. the cam doesnt really give you more speed, it just gives you more power in the upper rpm band. also with your tires, i wouldnt try pushing for more speed because you will loose stability.

I agree with blake80 here,I've got one of CPP's 18HP BB kits in my 2001 workhorse 1200 that I put a 1999 TXT rear under and it will GPS @ 40+ mph on flat pavement but even with the long travel frontend & other upgrades it has it still gets very "loose" and feels unsafe if you will at higher speeds.
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!