lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Mlmill
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad potentiometer? Or something else?

Bad potentiometer? Or something else?
Hi all! First post ever (in any forum!).. But have been using this site every day for a week or so trying to figure out why it wont run.
Thanks for all the great info!! I bought a 92 ezgo electr marathon about a month ago, everything was running pretty good. The only problem was the pedal had to be pumped/depressed a few times before wheels would start to move. No big deal. Then about a week ago it stopped working while i was driving it across the yard. Discovered A2 lug had burnt off at motor -mustve been loose connection. Trying to get jam nut off i twisted the terminal off. I removed motor, replaced brushes, and reinstalled motor. While waiting on new brushes to arrive, i went ahead and replace ALL of the wires to 4ga. After putting the motor back on, turned on the key put in F...NOTHING! So, after running several tests i found on this forum, finally figured out there is apparently no power getting to the controller from the Pot. (Because everything worked perfectly when i did this-->) I jumped from the battery pack + to the red input power from pot to controller (also worked from battery pack + straight to pot microswitch terminal opposite of one from solenoid...hope that makes since). So, finally my question/s...does this mean i have a bad pot? Or could it be a bad microswitch? Would this explain why i had to pump/depress pedal few times before it would move before??
Sorry for such a long post, and thanks in advance for any replies.
Mlmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Mlmill
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bad potentiometer? Or something else?

Surely it couldnt be just bad key switch, huh? Not really sure how to test for bad key switch. While jumped to provide power to controller i noticed key didnt need to be on. Tire speed increases gradually as pedal depressed. Got me second guessing my original diagnosis of bad potentiometer
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Mlmill
Not Yet Wild

But then again, when i turn on key the battery meter is powered up
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

I'd be real careful with jumper wires and applying B+ to places it doesn't belong.

The potentiometer input to a 1204 controller is basically an ohmmeter and it is powered by an internal, regulated +14V supply.

Since you referred to a Red wire, hopefully you are speaking about the KSI (Key Switch and Interlock) input to the controller, which is a blue wire that attaches to the same terminal on MS-3 that the red wire attaches to.

Does the solenoid click when pedal is pushed while cart is misbehaving?

From your description of what was originally happening, I suspect MS-3 is intermittent.
The NC contacts are use, so what is actually closing the contacts, is a little bitty internal spring and if the switch is old or dirty, the NC contact don'ty always close when the lever is released.

Here is a schematic with KSI traced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic. with KSI traced.JPG (78.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Mlmill
Not Yet Wild

One last thing, i read the wire from pot to controller was supposed to be 0 with pedal up and 5000ohm when fully pressed. Mine is 2600ohm when fully pressed. Theorhetically, would 2600ohm make cart go faster than 5000ohm??
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlmill View Post
One last thing, i read the wire from pot to controller was supposed to be 0 with pedal up and 5000ohm when fully pressed. Mine is 2600ohm when fully pressed. Theorhetically, would 2600ohm make cart go faster than 5000ohm??
No, it would run at about half speed.

Actual active range is 300 to 4500. Zero to Max.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No ..... Your cart is in reverse.
Reverse micro switch activates 1/2 speed or 0-2500 output from the control, try measuring in F.

Also (my guess) your orig and current problem are a failing micro switch... either at the POT or at the F&R. Good luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Mlmill
Not Yet Wild

Got cart running! Many thanks guys!!! Wire from key switch to microswitch on f/r pulled off. Such a relief to get it going! Not a bad experience tho, learned a lot about it the last few days! Thanks again!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO