lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Dirtfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Default 80's EZ-GO replaced solenoid now won't go?

I've searched and searched and cannot find this specific problem, so perhaps you can help.

This is a 1985 EZ-GO. While driving the cart, it just stopped one day. The batteries were old, so we replaced them and now we have a solid 38v from the battery pack. The solenoid was also not working properly (tested that from info on this forum - thx). We replaced the solenoid but while testing the connections, I noted that the key switch was only giving about 3 volts and the ground was also extremely weak so the solenoid would not function properly, when I bypass the key switch and ground directly, the solenoid clicks, but still the cart doesn't go. I checked for power from the large lugs on the F/R switch and it seems to be functioning. Here is a photo to show what we are dealing with. I've downloaded the wiring diagram from the forum, but it really doesn't show the solenoid connections. I'm stumped as to how to make this EZ-GO......roll again.
Dirtfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 80's EZ-GO replaced solenoid now won't go?

It sounds like the source of your problem might be the 3v at the key switch? Try tracing that supply back to the battery pack and possibly replace it with a new wire?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
rib33024

Where did you get that solenoid, there's a sticker on that solenoid whats the volts on the sticker, does it say 12V????
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer View Post
I've searched and searched and cannot find this specific problem, so perhaps you can help.

This is a 1985 EZ-GO. While driving the cart, it just stopped one day. The batteries were old, so we replaced them and now we have a solid 38v from the battery pack. The solenoid was also not working properly (tested that from info on this forum - thx). We replaced the solenoid but while testing the connections, I noted that the key switch was only giving about 3 volts and the ground was also extremely weak so the solenoid would not function properly, when I bypass the key switch and ground directly, the solenoid clicks, but still the cart doesn't go. I checked for power from the large lugs on the F/R switch and it seems to be functioning. Here is a photo to show what we are dealing with. I've downloaded the wiring diagram from the forum, but it really doesn't show the solenoid connections. I'm stumped as to how to make this EZ-GO......roll again.
I see you have a new wiper/wire attached to the solenoid and another new wire in the picture but what about all the others?
IMO If you intend to keep this cart then by all means replace all the wires with 4 gauge, clean the battery terminals and those terminals on the FNR switch and the motor. You may have cleaned the wiper board studs when you changed the wiper.
Also as mentioned above, is that a 36v solenoid? What are calling 'ground' should be the -36v battery post?
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Dirtfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Where did you get that solenoid, there's a sticker on that solenoid whats the volts on the sticker, does it say 12V????
It definetly is a 36v solenoid. We bought it at a golf cart repair joint. The wiper wire does look "newer". We plan on replacing all the wires. This cart is new to us and it just quit working all of a sudden, so I'm trying how to figure out how to make it roll again.

If I follow correctly, the key switch is supposed to have 36v+, and a negative from a battery post is supposed to also connect to the solenoid?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer View Post
It definetly is a 36v solenoid. We bought it at a golf cart repair joint. The wiper wire does look "newer". We plan on replacing all the wires. This cart is new to us and it just quit working all of a sudden, so I'm trying how to figure out how to make it roll again.

If I follow correctly, the key switch is supposed to have 36v+, and a negative from a battery post is supposed to also connect to the solenoid?

The 36v is not applied to the solenoid till you depress the go pedal which closes the micro switch (mounted on the backside of the wiper board below the solenoid) and if the ignition key is also closed (on) and FNR is in F or R position the solenoid will latch/activate. The reverse buzzer micro switch is in the circuit also. Make sure you have the rear wheels off the ground in case you get lucky and power is applied.
If you haven't already done so, Clean/tighten all connections, i.e. motor studs, resistor coil connections, solenoid studs, FNR switch and battery. Next and also check continuity/clean studs/wiper surfaces in FNR and Speed/wiper board.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Dirtfarmer
Not Yet Wild

I'm updating this for future reference. I finally got this cart working again. I'm pretty new to electric carts and was not really sure how they worked. With some help from this forum, I was able to get the wiring diagrams and found that my problem was the accelerator microswitch. Without that working, nothing works on the solenoid. I ended up buying a second cart (in much worse condition) to serve as a "donor" and I slowly moved parts from one cart to the other. I learned alot about how these things work and I appreciate the help.

I have not yet replaced all the battery cables, but that is on my list of things to do soon.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
just4funcarts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey...I also have an 85 ez-go 36V electric I picked up with some hacked wiring..I'm in the process of bringing it back to life but am unsure of the wiring.. .After printing as much info as I can related to wiring most of what I have is unclear and it seems to vary between the different schematics..It's one with the forward/reverse mico switches with normally closed contacts with back up buzzer..and and the 3 terminal one on the accelerator and of course it has a solenoid....also i'm unsure of the view's of ms1 and ms2 in relation to the F&R switches physical position..any help or better illustrations/photos would be greatly appreciated..Bob in IL
just4funcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
palomba16
Getting Wild

I'm having a similar problem with my 89. I had a question in the wiring for the 2 micro switches on the controller. One has then + wire attached to buzzer and the other wire I guess goes to a + on battery. The other micro has a - to buzzer and a wire going to key switch. Should there be any other wires hooked up at either micros? The other question is solenoid small terminal hook ups. Should one go to + at battery and - to the other micro switch that's underneath solenoid?
palomba16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no go, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO