lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #11
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is the RXV a POS

What kind of problems can happen by using the Powerwise chargers?
localbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Very well said.
We have two ezgo dealers in my metro area. One will not touch the RXV, one sells NOTHING BUT RXV's. The Latter has a factory trained tech, the former had trouble with the pre-2012 RXV's and never got beyond that.

IMO, the 2012.5 + RXV's are great machines, they can do so with much more with just the stock controller (after Bob or someone unlocks it for you) without upgrading the controller or motor.

It is a high tech machine and it requires a little more knowledge to maintain. For example, it has no mechanical brakes on the wheels, just a single brake on the motor. If you let the batteries die completely (as seems to be the case around here every spring) the motor brake will lock and the cart will not move, even in neutral. However, if the batteries are not completely dead, you can unlock the brake by changing a connection near the controller.

When these spring lock-ups occur and the user can't get the cart out of the barn or basement and have to call for service, they want to blame the cart for their negligence.

The RXV has an A/C drive motor, much more efficient, powerful and no brushes or commutator to worry about. As for me, I love and prefer the RXV, definitely not a POS.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have both a CC Precedent and a 2016 RXV and without question I prefer my RXV. If all I was using my cart for was to drive around the course for 9 holes and put it back into the cart barn until next weekend I might I might agree with some of the other posters about it getting overly complicated... But reality is I believe that most of us are using our carts for much more than just golfing. I probably drive my cart between 5 and 25 miles daily running around on roads and only play 9 holes of golf 2-3 times a week.

I used to complain all of the time about in the 80's and 90's about how they were screwing up the cars making them too complicated for the home mechanic. Fast forward and compare a 78 F150 (one of my favorites) with a 2018 Ford F150. The '78 is much "simpler" than the '18 but which would you want to pull a trailer up and down a mountain and drive across country... I just sold my 08 GT500 which was putting out just over 600hp at the wheels and its really hard to drive that and not be a fan of technology advances.

I look at the RXV as just another step in cart evolution it's new, different and unfamiliar with people. There's always a learning curve and growing pains with new technology and carts are no different. Yes, the RXV does not have 1930's drum brakes and feels "different" when braking. Yes, we now know that you replace the brake pads with OEM non-HD and don't over tighten. Yes, we have learned that it uses data control signals on those wires not 12v DC and cutting/splicing is bad. Yes, we now know that 12v dc accessories must all be run off of separate 12 reducer (is this a big deal? Yes, the buzzer wire can't be cut, but with a controller the volume of the buzzer can actually be adjusted to your desired level (or use tape)...

Since the initial bugs were worked out, I for one am a fan of 2012+ Curtis controller carts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll just add that I do like mine, but it is not a cart for the tinkerer, especially the electrical system. I do wish it had real brakes. Do not futz with any stock electronics or risk blowing the controller. It is overly complicated for what it does, but it has torque for days.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #15
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I mostly plan on weekend use with the kids or for the kids to get to one place to the next. The community is large and has a lot to do especially in the summer with the lakes and pools.

I do plan to correct the way the head/rear lights were installed. It’s connected to one battery rather than using a 48 > 12 converter. Once I do that I plan to add LED underbody lights.

So what’s this about the Powerwise charger causing problems? What type of problems occur from using that charger?
Old 10-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by localbar View Post
What kind of problems can happen by using the Powerwise chargers?
Nothing except you shelling out $200 for a new one over and over and over and over

The original PowerWise 36V charger used on TXT and TXT PDS was an excellent ferro-resonant charger. easily repaired and American made.

The PowerWise QE/Delta Q SC-48 are China made garbage designed to fill landfills and anger EZGO customers. CGTech can fill you in on more.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, they are horrible, I have a mountain of failed ones. The "black & yellow" QUIQ charger is ok, but the QE & SC-48 are worthless. Fortunately, they don't seem to cause any cart damage when they fail, they just stop working (early & often).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
It is a high tech machine and it requires a little more knowledge to maintain. For example, it has no mechanical brakes on the wheels, just a single brake on the motor......
And that so called brake on the motor is intended to do two things. 1. Its the parking/hill brake that keeps the cart stationary when unoccupied. 2. It’s also an emergency brake if the motor regen function cannot stop the cart correctly. Stomping on the brake pedal all the way will engage this parking brake. A few applications and that brake is a smelly boat anchor.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #19
johnabell67
Not Yet Wild

love my rxv now that bob handled his magic on it, battery life has gone down but it hauls *** now
johnabell67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #20
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnabell67 View Post
love my rxv now that bob handled his magic on it, battery life has gone down but it hauls *** now
Nice. What did he modify it to? How long was the turn around??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO