lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
gregahamilton
Not Yet Wild

Default Used cart Buying Advice

Instead of upgrading my existing cart I'm in the market to buy a "new to me" cart.

Other than the obvious, frame rust, batteries bulging, tire condition, test ride results, and just overall cosmetic appearance of the cart what are some things I should be watchful for.

I plan on using my DMM to check pack and individual voltage. I also have a cheapo battery load tester from Harbor Freight but I don't think it has a 8v option so I don't think I can use it.

Obviously the $$$ is in the batteries and electrical system and I want to make sure they're up to snuff, or know to point out problems to be able to negotiate a lower price.

Also, I noticed that there are about double the amount of threads in the Club Car section of this site than there are EZGO or Yamaha. Is that just a product of there being more Club Cars than other brands, or is possibly because Club Cars are more prone to being problematic?
gregahamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Used Buying Advice

Not sure about the thread count... I prefer Club Car though. The aluminum frames will never rust out, for one thing.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregahamilton View Post
Instead of upgrading my existing cart I'm in the market to buy a "new to me" cart.

Other than the obvious, frame rust, batteries bulging, tire condition, test ride results, and just overall cosmetic appearance of the cart what are some things I should be watchful for.

I plan on using my DMM to check pack and individual voltage. I also have a cheapo battery load tester from Harbor Freight but I don't think it has a 8v option so I don't think I can use it.

Obviously the $$$ is in the batteries and electrical system and I want to make sure they're up to snuff, or know to point out problems to be able to negotiate a lower price.

Also, I noticed that there are about double the amount of threads in the Club Car section of this site than there are EZGO or Yamaha. Is that just a product of there being more Club Cars than other brands, or is possibly because Club Cars are more prone to being problematic?
That is a good observation. I think it is a little bit of both. Everybody has their opinion but at the end of the day you have to work on it and ride in it. I find access to electronics better and ride quality better in the TXT48 than the DS & Precedent. So if your not working on it or riding in it, why do you have it
All three major brands are a good bet. Stay away from anything else. Especially if you want to add aftermarket stuff like rear seats and lift kits.
Aluminum frames do not rust. They do oxidize and crack. Each cart has pros and cons. If you live someplace steel cannot this may be an attractive trade off.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregahamilton View Post
-snip-
Is that just a product of there being more Club Cars than other brands?
Simply the best. Our frames are all aluminum and do not rust out....

Seriously, they are all about the same in regards to longevity. I liked the CC styling and the aluminum frames and that is what I have always bought and worked on.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Default Re: Used cart Buying Advice

unless you have a receipt and fully charged assume the batteries are in need of replacing
that way you're not disappointed when you need to replace them in a year or two

new stock wheel/tire takeoffs can be had all over craigslist for $100 from dealers

as mentioned club car frames are aluminum, no rust but they can corrode if poorly maintained

i'd worry more about curb appeal, roof, seat condition and windshield, everything else can be reasonably upgraded
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
DanielMv720
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have bought 6 carts over the past two years to flip and they have all been club cars. Like others have said the aluminum frame lets me know I wont worry about rust and that's a plus for me. I also agree on the comment about the batteries, I always just assume they will need to be replaced when deciding if I want to buy a cart. One cart I bought needed the mcor replaced, another cart I bought had a faulty speed controller and was stuck in limp mode and wouldn't go past 8mph so I upgraded it to alltrax. On another older cart I had to replace one of the solenoids because it would not run at lower speeds. All other carts had minor cosmetic/electrical issues that thanks to searching this site I was able to easily resolve.
DanielMv720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have purchased a few Club Cars to flip and some others. I also look for curb appeal like _orge stated. If needed the body comes off a lot easier for paint or easy access to electrical components for repair. You just have to assume the batteries will need replacing so try I to figure that in the purchase price. It is all in what appears to you. Club Car was my first cart so that is what I like just like my first car that I built was a 56 Chevy.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car