lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
LakeGolfCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Switching from 6V to 12V for a 36volt battery system

I am a new members and I have read the new posting instructions twice. So I hope this does not get deleted since I need some expert answers and not the retail runaround.

I would like to switch my 1994 EZGO Medalist golf cart from 6-6V batteries to 3-12V batteries. Unfortunately no one in retail can give me a straight answer. $$ Here is what I have discovered through research.

Yes, I can make this change as long as I keep the same total voltage. But now which batteries do I select? I only drive my cart about 200 yards on weekend from my cabin to my boat dock and back. I am trying to be frugal and smart. How important is the AH Rating since the cart can go on a charger every night? I am trying to keep my total costs under $500 for the 3 - 12 V batteries. Thank you and I look forward to your replies.
LakeGolfCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Switching from 6V to 12V for a 36volt battery system

AH equate to storage capacity and the greater the storage capacity, the further the cart will go on a single charge. Also, the greater the storage capacity, the less the batteries will be discharged for traveling the same distance and the less the batteries are discharge between recharges, the longer they'll last before needing to be replaced.

A 36V battery pack consists of eighteen 2V cells and a 6V battery has 3 of them while a 12V battery has 6 of them. Since both the three 2V cell of a 6V battery and six 2V cells of a 12V battery are packed in roughly the same sized box, the cells used in a 12V battery are roughly 1/2 the size of the cells used in a 6V battery and storage capacity is mostly determined by physical size, therefore a 3X12V 36V pack will have roughly 1/2 the storage capacity (AH) as a 6X6V 36V battery pack.

The standard 36V battery pack (6X6V) is 225AH and the 12V deep cycle batteries commonly available have someplace between 140AH and 155AH, so the 3X12V pack will have a bit more the 1/2 the standard storage capacity.

Since the distance you''ll be traveling between charges is only a few hundreds yards, a 3X12V 36V battery pack will likely serve you well.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If your looking to save money, Sams Club has Duracel batteries and this Saturday they are $20 off per battery. Duracel isn't the best golf cart battery for sure, but for what you say you want they should be good.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The few bucks you will save (very few) are not worth the savings.

You will also have to modify something for them to fit and be secure. You will also kill the resale value of the cart.

But, if your mind is made up to do this, as JohnnieB said it should work for your needs.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Benny947
Not Yet Wild

Things to consider; 1) May my needs change? 2) Battery trays, how to secure them and distribute weight, length of cables? 3) is the terrain flat or hilly? 4) Battery capacity declines with age, will 3 12V provide adequate service after 2 years?
Benny947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
wldsilver
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
If your looking to save money, Sams Club has Duracel batteries and this Saturday they are $20 off per battery. Duracel isn't the best golf cart battery for sure, but for what you say you want they should be good.
What is considered "best" or "better"? (Asking for a friend)
wldsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldsilver View Post
What is considered "best" or "better"? (Asking for a friend)
Typically, the higher the AH rating, the better the battery.

The attached list is a few years old and not all inclusive, but show how the various AH stack up. The list is sort with highest AH at the top and sorted alphabetically for ties in AH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO