lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Mid 2000 TXT revs high and smokes

If the oil maintenance was not done routinely, it's not uncommon for the oil control rings to seize. So your compression test/leak down test would not yield any results to indicate direction. This applies to any small engine really, not just the EZGO's. Honda 4Wheelers are the same way... As long as you keep oil in them, they'll smoke like a train for YEARS and still run perfect and have perfect compression. These are the same way, as long as they have oil they'll run great, and make sure you don't have a mosquito problem to worry about in the near vicinity of the cart :)

I'd pay close attention to the intake valves if/when you tear the engine down. They're notoriously soft and wear out much more quickly than the exhaust valves. Replace the valve seals too.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Has this cart been sitting a long time ? The oil rings could be stuck a little. I wouldn't tear into just yet.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Understood, several of us here enjoy the hobby of reviving/rebuilding carts that were left for dead and haven't run in years, so zero baseline of what you're getting. That's part of the fun :)

If you can actuate the carb throttle by hand and get it to run "right" then that's a good start. I'd have to believe there's something in the governor that's not working right and holding the carb wide open from the sounds of what you're describing (though obviously with this format it's hard to tell since it's not in front of us).

IT also does sound like whatever RPM limiter in the ignitor also is malfunctioning, it should hit throttle cut LONG before 6000rpm. I'd have a hard time believing the engine isn't coming apart at that kind of speed...

Are you sure whatever tachometer you're using is set up correctly? 4000 RPM is about all the engine can really handle, and even that's a bit sketchy for my tastes.
I too have a hard time trusting that tach or the settings in it. With those soft valve springs I can't believe there wasn't any valve float at 5000+ rpm.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

I am thinking the tach may be messed up. I am wondering if for some reason it was doubling the rpm... showing 8k when it was really 4k.

As for the smoking. It seems to only do it once the engine is warmed up and at a decent rpm, just off idle I didn't notice anything. I ordered some valve seals and I am going to try that before I tear it apart. Something is telling me it isn't smoking bad enough to be rings. There isn't any blow by out of the breather either.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.
brinkkl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If the car has sat for a long time, it may just be burning off crap that accumulates from sitting. Not uncommon at all. Before doing anything else, I would probably just drive it and see if it clears itself out. If it was overfilled on oil previously, there may also be unburnt oil in the exhaust that will burn itself off as well.

Valve seals will usually smoke when you first start it, but once it burns off it will stop until it's parked for a while (like overnight). Or if you're cruising, let off the throttle and coast to a stop, then it'll smoke a bit when you first start driving again, but usually quits after a couple hundred yards.

Rings will typically smoke during acceleration, when the engine is under a load.

You could also try some of the oil flush stuff, just dump it in the oil and run it for 15 minutes, then drain all the oil out and refill with fresh oil. You'd be amazed at the amount of sludge I got out of the last ezgo workhorse I had... Unfortunately it didn't cure my smoking (though it did help quite a bit) so I had to rebuild anyway (which turned into a nightmare... long story) but if you're just smoking a little bit it may be enough to free the oil control rings.

Certainly worth a try, won't hurt anything.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I installed an engine that had been sitting for 10 years. Smoked like crazy . This engine had 170 pounds of compression. I removed the spark plugs and filled the cylinder with Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit for three days. I checked and oil left the upper cylinder. I am running it now and no smoke at all. Clear as a whistle
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

CP and Trig, I am intrigued by both of your suggestions and would be inclined to try them both.

using the MMO, am I filling both cylinders up when they are at BDC at the compression stroke, or any where in the cycle. Am I to expect to see the MMO disappear after some time? If it does seep in to the cylinder, can that be used as an oil cleaner as CP suggested or should I change the oil right away. I have never done this process before.

CP, would seafoam be an appropriate cleaner for the crankcase. I am a firm believer in the stuff for fuel systems, but never dared throw it in my crankcase. If I do that, a 16oz can is suggested in a car, 5 to 6 qt system I assume. Should I add about a quarter of a can then? Can it be mixed with the MMO that might be in the case after I soak the cylinder as Trig suggested?
brinkkl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkkl2000 View Post
CP and Trig, I am intrigued by both of your suggestions and would be inclined to try them both.

using the MMO, am I filling both cylinders up when they are at BDC at the compression stroke, or any where in the cycle. Am I to expect to see the MMO disappear after some time? If it does seep in to the cylinder, can that be used as an oil cleaner as CP suggested or should I change the oil right away. I have never done this process before.

CP, would seafoam be an appropriate cleaner for the crankcase. I am a firm believer in the stuff for fuel systems, but never dared throw it in my crankcase. If I do that, a 16oz can is suggested in a car, 5 to 6 qt system I assume. Should I add about a quarter of a can then? Can it be mixed with the MMO that might be in the case after I soak the cylinder as Trig suggested?
I would hold off on filling all the way at BDC, I don't think that much is needed.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

This is the stuff I used in a couple carts. I tried it first in an ez-go that smoked like a train. you'd be AMAZED at the amount of gunk that came out (I had already changed the oil because it was overfilled, so the oil was clean before I poured some of this stuff in). The oil filter was completely caked in sludge and the amount of sludge I removed from the engine was unreal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTOR-MED...MaAs7VEALw_wcB

ultimately, I had to rebuild the engine anyway because it still smoked. But I can say when I took it apart, there wasn't a bit of sludge inside the motor anywhere. it was actually incredibly clean.

After that experiment I tried it in my G9, because it ran great and had perfect compression, but smoked like a train. I didn't get ANY sludge out of it, but when I took that motor apart found the broken oil control ring. magic medic stuff won't fix broken rings

I just poured some in, (don't recall exactly how much, but I poured a pretty liberal amount in) and drove it around my yard for about 10-15 minutes, pulled it back inside and drained all the oil out. I didn't want any leftover so I did pour an extra quart of oil in, run it for another 5 minutes and change the oil again.

I will say in the ezgo it did stop about 90% of the smoking. The remaining 10% was due to valve seals, but I figured if I have to pull the motor and replace the valve seals I may as well do rings and stuff while it's out and apart.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And I would use something designed for oil/engine flush and not the fuel stuff. Different chemical formulations designed for cleaning different things. I don't know exactly what's in the motor flush stuff but it's designed for breaking up oil sludge. Amsoil makes one too but I live out in the sticks and my choices are rather limited. This stuff worked great though.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO