lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default '06 precedent, solenoid does not close

Hi Group,

I'm new to golf carts but not electrical systems. I bought an 06 precedent with a burned up controller (outside melted, fets all burned inside) for cheap. I got a "good" used controller for a local golf cart place (Curtis 15101-5250) and put it in. The battery pack is not fully charged but at 51 volts. I set the switch under the seat to "run", put the FNR switch in neutral, and turned on the key... Nothing... I then put the FNR switch in forward and slowly hit the throttle (with rear jacked up)... again nothing... but the battery light on the dash lit up for a few seconds solid and then went out (no light since). The solenoid (contactor) is not closing. I chased voltage around the cart and I'm getting 51 volts after the tow/run to the controller, and key to the controller, and forward and reverse 51 volts to the controller, and the pedal switch to the controller (all switching on/off as they should). I have 51 volts going to the solenoid and I can't find a situation where the controller will provide the ground to close it... I pulled the solenoid and manually operated the solenoid (applied 48V and it closed strong).

It could be that the supposed good used controller is not really good... but I want to exhaust everything I can.

Does the OBC have anything to do here?

Should I bypass the solenoid... I've read of a few people doing that but it doesn't sounds like a good idea.

When *should* the solenoid close? After key or after pedal down?

Thanks
ta69man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '06 precedent, solenoid does not close

Ah, forgot one thing... I also ran the motor directly off of some power supplies that I have so that seems ok too....
Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The OBC (by design) will hold out the solenoid, via the controller, from closing to keep it from moving why it is plugged in.

I would definitely bypass the OBC and see if this allows it to close in. Link to our sticky below.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...excel-obc.html
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks nole fan... Will try this next...

I did find two more pieces of info... The 5v regulator is only putting out 0.7v to throttle although pot seems to respond well... And the light blue wire from obc is only 38v not pack voltage as I found it needed somewhere...
Old 08-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And I can recall Sergio discussing the light blue wire voltage in a thread, but I do not recall what he stated and he is our resident expert on that stuff.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, I pulled the light blue wire and put full pack voltage on it and nothing changed... No solenoid.

Also, I don't get a back up alarm with the FNR switch in reverse...

So, when *should* the solenoid close?

And, when *should* the reverse alarm kick in? Pedal down or just select reverse? I don't even know if this carts alarm is still plugged in...
Old 08-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just curious did you check the two fuses and look for burned wires in the loom and connectors?
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

May I offer the attached file as my donation to your trouble shooting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Club-Car-06-07-Precedent-Electric-SM-02400.pdf (11.43 MB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta69man View Post
So, I pulled the light blue wire and put full pack voltage on it and nothing changed... No solenoid.

Also, I don't get a back up alarm with the FNR switch in reverse...

So, when *should* the solenoid close?

And, when *should* the reverse alarm kick in? Pedal down or just select reverse? I don't even know if this carts alarm is still plugged in...
When you placed it into reverse you should have gotten the back-up alarm. You have a controller issue I think.... If you have a main fuse and it is not blown, and you are not getting the back up alarm, then it sounds like the controller has gone as you should be triggering the back-up signal from the controller.

Let others weigh in, but that's my direction of thinking right now....
Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did check the wiring and all looks ok there. 16 pin connector into controller got a little blackened but all is ok.

I also checked the fuse on the red wire and the one on the blue. Both are good. The accessories work fine (head and brake lights).

Pingeye - thanks for the file... That's great!

I too am leaning towards a controller issue... If not for the lack of solenoid closing then for the 5v feed to accelerator pedal only being 0.7v...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car