lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New Battery Discharge?

Hey all. Bought my 2007 EZGO TXT last month, The guy I bought it from refurbishes carts, and he said that he put new batteries in before the sale. They are not Trojans but a brand called 'Golf Pro Gold' batteries. They certainly look new but I can't find them anywhere online, so I'm thinking that they must be some kind of wholesaler battery and probably suck.

I'm doing some upgrades and currently have the batteries out of the cart. I've been keeping them topped off with a battery charger. Question is around the discharge amount. With my charger, I can top off each battery to 100% about every 3 days if I do them one at a time (small charger). Every time I rotate to the next battery, it has depleted to about 84-85% within the 3 day period. Is this typical of a 'new' battery?

Thanks.
cv2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Battery Discharge?

If you do not have one you will need a golf cart charger to properly charge and care for golf cart batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you do not have one you will need a golf cart charger to properly charge and care for golf cart batteries.
I do have one, but the batteries are not hooked up to the cart at this point, so have nothing to plug into the recepticle. I should have the new battery tray back in this weekend with the batteries hooked back up in series.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Small chargers often do not have the ability to fully charge a deep cycle battery. I would not panic until they show this problem after being charged with the cart charger.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
Small chargers often do not have the ability to fully charge a deep cycle battery. I would not panic until they show this problem after being charged with the cart charger.
Thanks. I have charged them with my cart charger before. If I didn't run the cart and topped off each evening, the charge might run for 30 minutes before switching off each night.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Wire them together and place them close to the cart, so you can connect the charge receptacle wires up, and charge them properly. A car charger WON'T do the trick. You should get 6.37 volts each.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Wire them together and place them close to the cart, so you can connect the charge receptacle wires up, and charge them properly. A car charger WON'T do the trick. You should get 6.37 volts each.
Thanks. Got batteries back in, new receptacle, new battery tray and 4 gauge wires. It's charging now, so we'll see how it goes. The charger that I was using was for 6 volt batteries. It was only 3 amps, so pretty slow, but it eventually got each battery to 100%. I was just curious how each battery would lose 15% of its charge over a 3 day period.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

There's a wives tale that letting them sit on concrete will increase the self-discharge. That was a fact, when their cases were made of wood, covered with tar. However, there are folks who anecdotally say they've observed the same with modern plastic cased batteries. Can't explain it, but there may be some truth to it. See how they do while inside your cart.

Also, a battery voltage can reliably only be measured 12 hours after the charge completed, so you may not have ever reached 100%. Car batteries (cranking) are different beasts than deep cycle batteries.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO