lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
jimjan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 18hp V-Twin need more power

Looking for ideas on how to get a bit more power from my 18hp V-Twin Briggs.
Dont want to go over board at present as I want to give it a full power rebuild down the line but only had it for a month and want to see what I can do to it.
Any ideas from anyone who has been there,done that. Motor seems pretty solid and is stock standard.Its my 1st buggy and I have not got a clue other than what I have read on this great forum.
Cheers
jimjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 18hp V-Twin need more power

If your engine is completely stock you should consider a Rev-Kit from CPP before doing any other mods. The Rev-Kit will unlock a lot of potential from the 18HP V-Twin. The kit includes valve spring spacers and push rods designed to handle higher than factory rpm's. The advanced timing key also helps with performance. CPP sells head gaskets that increase compression. Occasionally you can find a stock Briggs 23Hp camshaft which increases power through the factory rpm's and maybe a little higher. CPP sells that cam and a high performance cam. Always keep the valves adjusted properly, run good fuel, keep the fuel filter changed as needed, replace the air filter when necessary or order a K&N air filter. You can experiment with different mufflers, but mostly you will see a difference in sound volumes. Hope this helps.
BlackBerryHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
nozleman
Not Yet Wild

Why do you need more power then the 18hp, those are beasts?
nozleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
jimjan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Blackberryhill, thanks for your input. Looks like that will be the way I go.

Gidday nozelman. Maybe I should rephrase that title.

I dont need more power but I would LOVE MORE POWER. I live on an Island where buggies are the only form of transport. It is all hills except for the Runway and some of the hills are pretty serious and although the Vanny eats them up I would like to know what I can get out of it.
This is my first buggy (stretched G16 ) and since joining this forum I have developed some type of strange medical condition which I can not get out of my system. My Doctor told me it was the dreaded Buggy Bug of which the only cure was complete rebuild, paint, lift kit and wheels etc etc and Vanny Power Pills to be taken 3 times a day with Beer or as often as needed.
Needless to say when I took my prescription to the Drug store he didn't know what I was talking about and suggested I get in touch with the sponsors on Buggiesgonewild so here I am and also checking with the experts ( You Guys ).
Hopefully someone has got a remedy cause Man am I sick.

Cheers from Downunder
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozleman View Post
Why do you need more power then the 18hp, those are beasts?
Really???? Why more than 18????
Sorry about the Hijack Jim, I couldn't help myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcart.jpg (104.8 KB, 0 views)
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
jimjan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Can you tell me what clutches I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3564.jpg (151.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
nozleman
Not Yet Wild

Well if you want more SPEED, do the rearend gears from cpp!!!! If you want more POWER and are running the stock clutches do the machining, severe duty belt, and spring in the drive clutch and the spring in the driven clutch.
nozleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have no idea what primary that is, but the secondary (on the trans) looks stock yamaha.

What do you need it to do better? What rpm does it run, is the governor still on the engine?
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
jimjan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I get 20mph top speed with 12" wheels and standard tires. It pulls pretty well but not as good as my F350 6.7.
I have never had or driven a vanny before and with reading this forum it just got me thinking that I must be able to get some more grunt. Top speed is not my priority but I will be towing a boat and sometimes a work trailer and it is very hilly so I am after the low end power.
Is the Governor the round bit with a short shaft and a pin through it that is a couple of inches away from the dip stick. If it is then yes it is still attached to the engine.
I will have to get a rev counter and check the rpm and get back to you. I will not be back where my buggy is for a week or so.
From what I have been reading on the forum it looks like I will gain some top speed from the 22" tires I will be putting on with a lift kit and loosing some bottom end so I really want to get that bottom end back and up it a bit. seems like I am talking in riddles here
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ello mate sorry i always wanted to do that no disrespect yeah that governer is holding you back check out the gov removal sticky it should get you on the right path of better performance
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!