lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #71
yeagisyeag
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1991 par car coils going bad

Take wires A and B off the coil, connect them to one end of the ballast resistor. The other end of the ballast resistor goes to the + on the coil.

I honestly wouldn't add any if your coil is within spec.

Jim
yeagisyeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #72
yeagisyeag
Not Yet Wild

Oh yeah, I did run my cart for a bit yesterday. It ran great, better than it ever had.

Jim
Old 10-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #73
Lg96gt
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Isn't the module supposed to ground through the plate. Dielectric grease will insulate the two possibly causing no ground. Are you thinking about the silver grease?
someone earlier mentioned it to help dissipate heat.. i only put a glob right under the module itself, not around the entire plate, the bolts still firmly hold and ground it and it still touches for 70% of the metal plate to direct metal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagisyeag View Post
Take wires A and B off the coil, connect them to one end of the ballast resistor. The other end of the ballast resistor goes to the + on the coil.

I honestly wouldn't add any if your coil is within spec.

Jim

its measuring 3.8 ohms with nothing hooked up to it. perfectly within spec i know.. I'm going to install the resistor (went with the 1.82 ohms) and see if it still runs..if it does I figure I'm not hurting anything and if I do have a fault in my system elsewhere that burnt up the first module then I'll just have a little more of a firewall in place from overheating and burning up a second one.. when the first one died it was after about 5 hours of slowly driving around a snowmobile swap meet that it got hot enough and said its done! just trying to add a little security!! i should ditch the oil pump that i don't think is working anyways, don't worry, I'm premixing) and get a mini fan to just blow on the module to keep it cool!
Lg96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #74
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Can't blame you for the thought of extra insurance. The only downside I can see is with the extra resistance (5.62 ohms) it may be harder to start due to a weaker spark. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to try.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #75
Lg96gt
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

the Napa resistor although listed at 1.82 ohms ended up being 2.2. It has a system total of 6ohms flat. seem like a lot but the spark is still very strong, honestly, seems stronger than before and runs better! starts just fine when cold (yesterday was 40 when I tried it). I took it for 4.5 miles averaging 12mph (phone app) yesterday to try and get it good and hot and get it to fail and it kept going! the muffler was smoking a little so I know it was hot! I think that's honestly the farthest I've drove it since owning it! now i gotta get the brakes adjusted and figure out how to make it faster! this max speed of 15mph is killing me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151018_165807522.jpg (580.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #76
yeagisyeag
Not Yet Wild

Awesome! Glad to hear you didn't have to spend another $120!

Jim
Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #77
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Actually what I should have said was when the resistor gets hot (been running) the resistance will go up some. This actually makes hot starting weaker than cold starting. I'd say your in good shape though. Good to hear your fixed up.

I just had to buy a coil for mine. Kinda hard to find the right one from a parts house. I am going to try and collect some information about the internal resisted coils so people can find them a little easier. If anyone has the place (napa, autozone, etc), brand, model #, primary resistance, and secondary resistance info please let me know. Actually what I would like to have is the year, model vehicle, and engine these fit because that makes it alot easier to find. Telling the guy the part is for a golf cart gets you nothing but a blank stare.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #78
Lg96gt
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks for all the help guys! It continues to run! Now I get to start having fun, LED light bar, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, rebuild clutches (anyone know where to get new springs?) aiming for a new top speed of over 20mph and not sure how I'm gonna get there but it'll be fun and I'm sure this forum will get me through it! Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #79
Thomas420sewd
Not Yet Wild

Help I was driving my golf cart today it was running good then on the way back it started to stall out and died lost all spark I still have power going to the coil just no spark help
Thomas420sewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #80
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Can you start a new thread? We need some specific info such as cart year if you know it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar