lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #21
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: 1991 par car coils going bad

Could it be the points or condensor?

That's a 3 amp diode not a resistor. You can get one at Radio Shack. I just had to replace mine.

If the diode shorts out you will hear the backup buzzer when in forward and if the diode is bad, you will not have reverse. You can test it with most multimeters.
http://en-us.fluke.com/training/trai...ultimeter.html
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #22
Lg96gt
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Could it be the points or condensor?

That's a 3 amp diode not a resistor. You can get one at Radio Shack. I just had to replace mine.

If the diode shorts out you will hear the backup buzzer when in forward and if the diode is bad, you will not have reverse. You can test it with most multimeters.
http://en-us.fluke.com/training/trai...ultimeter.html
thanks so much, i knew it was a diode or resister, just couldn't read numbers off it anymore!! i was looking to replace it because the plastic coating around it was burnt up..i have a nice multi-meter but you already told me it was bad! first night out running it would buzz in forward and reverse...ended up finding the buzzer and just removing it!! i'll get one tomorrow, i see there are different voltages with 3 amp diodes, what did you use?!

I think you are also onto something with the points, except mine is an electronic module not the points...i tested the solenoid about 20 times and never failed last night. I'm fairly certain its either coil or module...cant find a module for less than $200 shipped...i keep reading they should only be $100? i'm debating converting back to points but hear the timing is a PITA. I'm fairly certain its not the coil...i get that one spark every-time i let off the pedal and i don't think that'd happen with a bad coil...plus it meters out within spec.
Lg96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

I believe it was something like 200 volts. As long as its over 15 volts or so it will work or even over 3 amps.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #24
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

If you put the buzzer back on, you will know if the diode shorts out again. If you didn't have the buzzer you wouldn't know without just testing it from time to time. I was going to take my buzzer off too but then I thought of that and left it on there. Of course if the diode quit allowing electricity in the right direction, then you wouldn't have reverse and would know then.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #25
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I'm Probably wrong but I thought the diode was there just to keep the buzzer from working in forward as well as reverse?
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #26
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

It is there to keep the buzzer from working in forward for sure. I was thinking it would would keep power from backfeeding through the reverse part of the switch while in forward because it piggybacks off it, but I really don't know if that matters or not.

I haven't really looked at the multifunction switch closely enough to see what connections get swapped around between forward and reverse. The switch testing diagram I had wasn't the exact one I needed to be looking at or something when I was looking at it so when the switch worked I quit looking at it.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #27
Lg96gt
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

got the diode replaced and buzzer is working as it should now! thanks!! I'm going to start with replacing the coil. can anyone verify if eBay item number 360418217491 will work? or item number 400782877525? (sorry cant post links yet) the first one is $5 more but ships from MN so I'd get it in a day or two! both are INTERNALLY resisted universal 12v ignition coils.
Lg96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #28
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

I think mine is an automotive coil but not sure.

A guy had put chevy points and condensor in mine and they worked but I went ahead and ordered the right ones.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #29
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The right ones for my carts (74 to 80) are Chevy points and condenser! They are A109P. The D108P works but with a little less clearance. The points for the 1970 Harley Big, Twin I think, is the original for my carts. Also for the Chevy Pickup w/a 250CID 6 cyl. engine. What is the correct point set for the 91 Cart. I will put it in my HD notes!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #30
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

The 91 models have the solid state ignition module in there. According to what service manuals are available, they started that in at least the 86 models.

I can ask the guy exactly what points he got for mine which is an 83 model. I know he said Chevrolet but don't remember if he said a model or year. He will know.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar