lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
SilvrSRT10
Not Yet Wild

Default Total Charge III Problem

Hello golf cart guru's. I was working on my fathers EZGO Marathon today and installed a new circuit board in his Total Charge III charger (36v). Plugged it into the 110 outlet (it stayed off) and then plugged it into his cart. It came on fine and showed it was charging.

I then unplugged the cart and the charger did not cut off. Not good. The new circuit board has a red LED on it which lights when it see voltage from the cart. It too stayed on when disconnected from the cart. I unplugged the charger from the 110 and then plugged it back in and it remained off. Plugged the cart back in and the charger came on. Unplugged the cart and again the charger stayed on.

I suspect a leaky diode back feeding the board making it think it's still connected to the cart. Has anyone else experienced this and am I on the right track? TIA
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Total Charge III Problem

The board has to see the battery pack is above about 30V to turn charger on, but to turn it off, the board has to see 45V +/- 1.0V.

The turn on part of the board appears to be working, but the turn off part isn't, OR the charger's output voltage isn't climbing high enough to get the board to shut off the charger.

What is the voltage between the Red and Black wires connected to the control board when the charger is on and disconnected from cart?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
SilvrSRT10
Not Yet Wild

I'll get back to you on that. Heading over there in a little while and I'll take the multimeter. I wanted to test the diodes anyhow.

I didn't let it try to complete a charge cycle. I figured if it wouldn't shut off on it's own when I unplugged it from the cart, there was a chance it could fry the batteries.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
I'll get back to you on that. Heading over there in a little while and I'll take the multimeter. I wanted to test the diodes anyhow.
Here's the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Total Charge III Parts and service-1.pdf (3.28 MB, 0 views)
Old 04-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
SilvrSRT10
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Here's the manual.
Thanks for the manual.

I plug the charger into 110 vac. Charger stays inactive.
I plug the charger into the cart. Charger begins to charge.
I unplug the charger from the cart. Charger does not turn off.

At this time a take a reading at the red and black wires at the circuit board and it reads 40 vdc.

Diodes tested good so I don't think that's the problem.

But the red wire is picking up power off the heat sink which is also where the the white wire going to the cart plug is connected to the same terminal. Trying to figure out what's suppose to interrupt power out the red wire when the charger is disconnected from the cart.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Output is only reaching 40v? The shut-off voltage is around 45v to charge a 36v pack. Time to check the capacitor next.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
Thanks for the manual.

I plug the charger into 110 vac. Charger stays inactive.
I plug the charger into the cart. Charger begins to charge.
I unplug the charger from the cart. Charger does not turn off.

1. At this time a take a reading at the red and black wires at the circuit board and it reads 40 vdc.

Diodes tested good so I don't think that's the problem.

2. But the red wire is picking up power off the heat sink which is also where the the white wire going to the cart plug is connected to the same terminal. Trying to figure out what's suppose to interrupt power out the red wire when the charger is disconnected from the cart.
1. When 120VAC is applied to the transformer primary and no battery pack is connected to the output, the voltage between the red and black wires will be 65VDC or higher. You either got a bad capacitor, or far less likely, a bad transformer.

Attached is how to test the capacitor and transformer.

2. The Red wire between the heatsink and control board isn't interrupted.

The control board is a semi-smart switch that energizes or de-energize the relay on it when certain conditions are met. The relay contacts connect or disconnect AC power to the transformer primary, that is what turns the charger on and off.

When the charger is setting on the bench not connected to anything, the relay is de-energized and plugging the charger into a AC wall outlet does not turn it on.

When the output cable is plugged into the cart the cart's battery pack voltage is felt in the heatsink. If the battery pack voltage is high enough (about 30V), the battery pack voltage energizes the relay, which in turn applies AC power to the transformer and the output of the diodes is also applied to the heatsink, making it a self holding relay circuit. The relay stays energized until the voltage on the heatsink climbs to the voltage needed to trigger the control board into de-energizing the relay.

If the voltage never reaches the trigger voltage or the voltage comparator that is supposed to trigger the shutdown fails, there is a backup time on the control board that shuts the charge off after 12 to 16 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text.JPG (176.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
SilvrSRT10
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for all the good information and taking the time to share it with me. I'll get back over there and do some more testing and see if (with your information above) I can figure it out. I'll update as things progress.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
GThompson
Not Yet Wild

I am having a similar issue with my Total Charg III. Being new to all this started trying to see if just parts would fix this expensive charger if replaced.
Mine did not show any amps on meter and made a different sound then usual when it was plugged into cart. Did not find this post to check voltages.
Replace control board, but still no ammeter meter reading, and different sound, and took a while to shut down unless unplugged.
Called tech where board was purchased and he said was probably the ammeter gauge.
Bypassed that and now sounds normal but shuts off after a few minutes. thinking since I just manually charged the batteries to 100% that may be why.
Going to check charger voltages, but do you think the gauge may be all I need now?
GThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThompson View Post
I am having a similar issue with my Total Charg III. Being new to all this started trying to see if just parts would fix this expensive charger if replaced.
Mine did not show any amps on meter and made a different sound then usual when it was plugged into cart. Did not find this post to check voltages.
Replace control board, but still no ammeter meter reading, and different sound, and took a while to shut down unless unplugged.
Called tech where board was purchased and he said was probably the ammeter gauge.
Bypassed that and now sounds normal but shuts off after a few minutes. thinking since I just manually charged the batteries to 100% that may be why.
Going to check charger voltages, but do you think the gauge may be all I need now?
Reconnect charger and measure the battery pack voltage while on charge. If the charger stays on until the on-charge voltage climbs to about 45VDC, the ammeter may be all that is needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO