lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
howard purvis
Not Yet Wild

Default High speed gears

I HAVE A YAMAHA G29 DRIVE 2008 MODEL GAS. IT HAS A LITTLE MODIFACATIONS DONE TO IT SUCH AS 23inch tires long travel lift kit. moter has zemco header and open air filter and carb rejeted. has team long travel clutching. im wanting to know if high speed gears will help me or hurt me. how much bottom end power will i loose.
howard purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: High speed gears

Mostly only under about 10mph in my experience, as a stock lifted cart can have issues under about 5mph. You can do stuff with the clutching to help, if not already done. Mostly depends on how you use it, if it will bother you.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Based on what I've seen, high speed gears should only be used if you keep the stock tire size (18"). If used in conjunction with a lifted cart with large tires, it could lower the effective gear ratio so much that you'll lose low end grunt and pulling power. On the other hand, if you've replaced the stock engine with a big block, this will probably not apply....
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You will lose power no doubt. If you drive around on flat areas and roads you are likely fine....if you offroad and climb hills, hit some sand, tow anything....you are not going to like it. Many put HS gears in just for what was posted, they give a stock tire cart about the same speed as a lifted 22 tire cart has. Some put them in lifted big block carts to lower rpm at road speeds, not really to go faster likely to get better mpg and less noise and wear on the engine while at 30mph or so.

I would recommend seeing if you can fit more tire on it, or work more on the clutches sometimes you can get more overdrive out of them. Or sure, put a big block in and HS gears you will have it all.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
howard purvis
Not Yet Wild

I have a Yamaha g29 drive how do I hook up a equus tack omiter
howard purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha