lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default High Speed Gears G9

Anybody put the high speed gears in a Yamaha G9? I'm thinking about it. I know I won't have problems with torque because I'm using a Briggs 18Hp. Is it hard to do?
clayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: High Speed Gears G9

I've never done it but don't think it would be too hard.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I did a club car, the trans looks similar. It was not that hard in fact I put some new bearings in too that one had run out of oil. It ended up getting the same speed as a lifted cart with 22s, but it was all stock.

What I did was pull the entire rear out its not that hard. Then stood it on the passenger wheel and pulled the driver axle off, then the cover, remove the gears noting exactly how they go in, clean the box out if you need I had to flush mine, then put new parts in, inspect for fit, put cover back on and seal, put axle back on, install trans, fill with oil. I'd recommend you pressure wash it first, of course drain it first.

I don't know if the yami can be done exactly the same, but the CC rear stood there on the wheel the whole time it was nice. If you don't run the governor you might want to remove it. I have the manual here, it says take the muffler/cables/clutch off then take each axle off, then remove the trans. To get into trans remove governor arm, c clip on input shaft, and a plug you loosen at bottom of case. Then split case.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys! I have to save up my nickels to get them. Once I do, I'll let you know and post pictures for all to see.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

With that old CC it had good torque, with stock tires I was getting rubber all over the yard with it at around 15-20mph. It was funny, felt 200% faster I can tell you that. I expect a lifted cart to go faster this was a sleeper.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I used the golf cart speed calculator and it said with the 8:1 gear ratio that I should get around 31mph at 3600 rpm. Thats fast enough for me especially in a lifted cart.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

We find it much easier to leave the rear end in cart, Usually takes about a hour to install in most carts.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
We find it much easier to leave the rear end in cart, Usually takes about a hour to install in most carts.
You should know The CC the axles are clamped in, I didn't know it looked like pulling it out was better. It was easy to work on once out. That trans was run dry so I had to put the upper bearings in too.

The cart is lifted? What tires, I get 30mph with my G9 on pavement, gps, tires measure 23", stock gears, but it hits 4800rpm or so and takes a while to get there. The CC had a limiter it would not rev that high.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

BGW has a golf cart speed calculator that you enter your rpms, tire height and gear ratio.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Are you the one with the opposed 18hp? If so gears might work well as that likely does not want to rev too high...or I would not run it that hard anyway. They have piles of midrange torque though. And if you run roads mostly lot of people put gears in to reduce rpm. I run wooded trails, climb hills more, so grunt is really important.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!