lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #21
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Time to route and connect the BMS tap wires. Because the wires are all labled its simply a matter of trimming to length, strip, tin with solder, screw and repeat. I used about 20' 20 awg and it worked great. Anything larger and you will have trouble fitting in the channels of the terminal covers. A couple of temporary extra zip ties helped to organize the wires while routing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #22
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

To verify your wires are correct simply measure the voltage starting with 01 through 14 and each reading should increment by the cell voltage. In this case it went up by 3.9v with each tap wire. I actually tested this before lacing the wires.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #23
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Nice work.

We must be wired similarly

I did everything you've done step by step when I did my pack.

Label all tap wires with painters tape to help when stripping, tinning and securing in the tap harness. Makes everything flow easier
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Nice work.

We must be wired similarly

I did everything you've done step by step when I did my pack.

Label all tap wires with painters tape to help when stripping, tinning and securing in the tap harness. Makes everything flow easier [emoji106]
Great minds think alike... or I'll save you a room at the asylum... ;)

Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Great minds think alike... or I'll save you a room at the asylum... ;)

NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #26
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

For temp sensor I stripped a piece of the 22 awg twisted pair CAN bus cable and soldered it to the temp sensor that was ordered with the BMS from ZEVA. These sensors have extremely small wires and anything larger than 22 awg might not fit into hole of the module.

The temp sensor was inserted about 3" into the small hole in the end of the module, taped in place and then run and connected to the BMS.

The ZEVA manual says to sandwich the temp sensor between two modules which would probably be fine and most module cases are plastic but these are aluminum and I am just not a fan of pinching electrical wires between metal surfaces.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #27
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Time for the CAN bus. This is nothing more than a simple communication system between the BMS and other components. I will be wiring mine for now with just the BMS, Current sensor and monitor, in that order, on the CAN bus. I may add a CAN bus controlled charger later. A couple of things to keep in mind is that the BMS may be looking for things on the bus in a specific order and you must use a termination resistor or VM3 monitor (termination resistor is installed) to tell the BMS that's the end of the line.

Order 3 meters of 22awg Belden 8723 twin shielded twisted pair wire per install if running the monitor to the dash. I get mine from ZEVA when I order the BMS, his cable prices are reasonable.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #28
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am wiring the HV Relay/LV Relay circuits in series to a Gigavac 240 contactor on the B+ lead. This will disconnect the pack in the event of either a High or Low Voltage condition. Sergio and others have designed some really cool relay laddersthat have some advantages and there's some great threads on the topic. I'm more of a Keep It Simple S.... kinda guy, less parts - less to fail.

I'll be mounting the Gigavac to the tub wall so I can only run the lead B- to the terminal board and coil up the HV/LV Relay wire to the Gigavac until I put the pack into the cart.

Anyways there's of ways to accomplish this!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #29
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sleep switch is one of the easiest things you will do. Some people are running a lead back to the pack B- per the directions. But if you look at the BMS there's a "Ground" terminal which is connected to B- right next to the "Sleep" terminal. I just make my connections there and run to a small toggle mounted near the BMS or you could run it up to the dashboard if you prefer.

Works like a champ!

Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #30
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Very well done!! You've documented the build nicely for anyone else who wants to do their own build.

I like your soldered wiring as well. I crimped mine, but on the next one (really....next?) I'd go with a crimp\solder deal.

My only comment on using all thread is I would change to a metric all thread. Either 7 or 8mm. I only say that as the thread pitch on the metric is much different than on American threads. The pitch isn't as "sharp" or "pointy" on the ends and therefore, doesn't grab the metal flanges on the batteries. I used American and found that if I took the mid-section of the all thread to my grinder to knock down just the sharp thread edge, the pack went together very smoothly. But grinding 'em is a PITA.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium