lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #21
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Let's see your lithium boxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Nice build Jkerle!

BTW....how did you attach that "fin" to the back of your boat? I'm thinking that has to be held very.....strongly?
Thanks Dave. I need to figure out how I am going to keep the wiring clean now. It looked fine before starting all the zeva wiring. Now it's looking like a rats nest!

Sorry I can't help with the boat it's not mine. You'll have to scroll up to see the OP

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Here's my "build of the box." Or in my case....it's a box....in a box. The reason for the treated wood box is to help prevent water splashes as I rumble my way thru forest and stream!!

Here's the plywood insert. I do have ventilation from the top being open, but I'm going to drill a few vent holes in the front and back to keep air moving. I'm debating whether to install a small 12V fan\heater for those hunting days below 35 degrees. I think I'll first test it "as is" and see what kind of "dent" the cold puts on my needed travel distance. The Elcon charger is mounted on the drivers side while my LV and HV relays will be on the front side.

And here's the metal battery box that will drop into the wood case. The BMS is screwed into the top (I drilled and tapped where needed) and the shunt and fuse holder is on the left side. I formed the terminal protector from a piece of plexiglass purchased from Amazon. When this is dropped in the wooden box, it will be positioned with the terminals facing to the drivers side, but the box mounted as far passenger side as I can get it.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #23
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looking good Dave!

Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #24
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't think ventilation is needed while driving. I have not see the battery temps go up very much while using the cart. The only time heat is really generated in any substantial amount is while charging, and that is by the charger. With your charger fan sticking out of the box, most heat will be exhausted away from the compartment.

Keeping the box sealed will keep in the heat generated by using the batteries and you probably won't need any more heat in the compartment. Just try to keep the cart warm overnight when hunting and you should be fine.

I will try to log some battery temperatures when driving and charging to use a data points.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Nice build Jkerle!

BTW....how did you attach that "fin" to the back of your boat? I'm thinking that has to be held very.....strongly?
The "wake gate" is attached with a glass cup. This is the suction cup device used by glass installers to carry and seat large sheets of glass. These things are amazingly strong. You can easily hang on one of these stuck to a smooth surface. (Movie scenes of people using these to scale buildings is not far fetched)

It does pop off occasionally, but I have a dock bumper tied to it and sitting on the swim platform. If it pops off, I just jump off the surf board and wait for my wife to come get me, my board and the wake gate. Reinstall, and start surfing again.

Keep in mind, surfing is done at about 9 mph, so while it has a tremendous force on it, it is not like it would be at 40 mph. Also, my boat is a Correct Craft, so the fiberglass is about 1" - 1 1/4" thick. It is built like a tank. No worries about damage to the boat with the side loading.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

The highest temp I've seen so far either driving or charging has been 75 degrees. But, I'm sure that will change considering the ambient temps have been in the upper 60's.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #27
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
The highest temp I've seen so far either driving or charging has been 75 degrees. But, I'm sure that will change considering the ambient temps have been in the upper 60's.
I'm with you. I've never had my batteries get warmer than the ambient temps. I even brute tested them to try and get them to heat up.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #28
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is my typical TXT install in the first picture. It is splashproof but not waterproof.
The second pic is the TXT tub without the pack.
The third is of a pack in a 2016 Precedent, with controller and solenoid moved to the tub with the pack and charger.
The fourth is the latest pack assembly without orange covers.
Last - pack with the orange covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180221_162405638.jpg (341.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180220_185627162.jpg (357.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180406_175425935.jpg (249.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180803_154931080.jpg (323.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180328_173250255.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #29
somfas
Gone Wild

Do the Gen 1 Leaf Modules need any spacers or washers between each module? I have searched this forum like mad, but can't find anything. Whats bad is that I remember reading on here awhile back that some of you guys were chatting about it. My problem is that my battery supplier provided the end plates and spacers. There weren't enough spacers so when I questioned them, their answer was that I wouldn't need spacers between each module since I wouldn't be drawing that much current. Didn't sound legit to me. I will be stacking 10 modules together (for 83v). Is it okay to just stack them all together with only end plates and no spacers? Also, what ambient temps are okay for these batteries in the cart? They will be cruising around and be parked in 100 degree heat sometimes. Wont get much cold time though. Thanks!
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #30
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
Do the Gen 1 Leaf Modules need any spacers or washers between each module? I have searched this forum like mad, but can't find anything. Whats bad is that I remember reading on here awhile back that some of you guys were chatting about it. My problem is that my battery supplier provided the end plates and spacers. There weren't enough spacers so when I questioned them, their answer was that I wouldn't need spacers between each module since I wouldn't be drawing that much current. Didn't sound legit to me. I will be stacking 10 modules together (for 83v). Is it okay to just stack them all together with only end plates and no spacers? Also, what ambient temps are okay for these batteries in the cart? They will be cruising around and be parked in 100 degree heat sometimes. Wont get much cold time though. Thanks!
First gen spacers should be about .143”, two washers stacked comes very close to that measurement. You need the spacers, don’t listen to that supplier. Heat is a killer, keep them as cool as possible.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium