lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
tmheffer
Not Yet Wild

Default Troubleshooting Voltage Issue

Hey everyone, I had been having some trouble with my EZGO txt. I think I traced it back to a bad voltage regulator. I removed the drive belt to keep the cart from moving during the test. When the cart is off, I get 13 V from the batter and when I hit the gas, the voltage goes up to 17 V. I was expecting the battery to be around 12 V and the charging voltage to be high, like around 13 or 14 V.

Finally, I have a mystery yellow wire that doesn't seem connected to anything. The yellow wire seems to come out of the motor near where to two wires for the pulser coil go in. For the life of me, I can't tell what this wire is for, where it was supposed to be attached, or if it has anything to do with my over voltage issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
tmheffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Troubleshooting Voltage Issue

Are you using a decent digital volt meter? Some aren't very accurate. "At rest" full voltage out of the battery should be 12.6 volts. Running at speed the charging voltage will commonly run around 15 volts - yes more than a car. Make sure your using a accurate meter before you worry too much about the voltage.
The extra yellow wire is for an oil level switch that isn't used in your application.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
tmheffer
Not Yet Wild

meimk, thank you for the response, especially with regards to the yellow wire. I've had the golf cart for several years and never noticed it before. I do have a what I think is a decent digital volt meter (its a Fluke). I also have a lower end craftsmen which I will also use to check it.
tmheffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK, the Fluke should be better than what most of us use. 17 volts is a bit high, and yes that would be a function of the voltage regulator. That could also explain the 13 volts at rest (also a bit high) as a slightly overcharged battery.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like a voltage regulator issue. Check your connections/wires to make sure all is clean and shiny, and if so you might want a new regulator before you cook your battery.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO