lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default ‘88 Converted Club Car- smoothed riding?

Hello-

I have a 1988 Club Car DS that I completely rebuilt, and I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out, but I have one question about it.

The specs first:
23.5” tires, 6” lift
ScottyB upgrade kit with his new throttle pedal
Alltrax SR48400 and 200 AMP solenoid (formerly resistors)
All brand new 4 AWG cables for everything
New battery pack, still 36v
Stock motor
HD F&R switch
Tons of cosmetic stuff

I built this cart and we are now using it as a family cart, and it drives pretty well, but I’m constantly getting complaints that it rides “jerky.” The acceleration isn’t nearly as smooth as a stock club car or Ez-Go, and it’s easy to accelerate too fast, or let up on the pedal so the motor jerks the rear axle.

I’ve messed with the controller programming a little, but I don’t want to mess with it too much. Is there any way I can adjust this thing to just make it smooth and safe, like a stock cart?

It’s great to have all the torque, but I have children riding it, and I’d definitely like it to drive easier. What should I change?

Thank you
Luke L.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: ‘88 Converted Club Car- smoothed riding?

No opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Hello-

I have a 1988 Club Car DS that I completely rebuilt, and I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out, but I have one question about it.

The specs first:
23.5” tires, 6” lift
ScottyB upgrade kit with his new throttle pedal
Alltrax SR48400 and 200 AMP solenoid (formerly resistors)
All brand new 4 AWG cables for everything
New battery pack, still 36v
Stock motor
HD F&R switch
Tons of cosmetic stuff

I built this cart and we are now using it as a family cart, and it drives pretty well, but I’m constantly getting complaints that it rides “jerky.” The acceleration isn’t nearly as smooth as a stock club car or Ez-Go, and it’s easy to accelerate too fast, or let up on the pedal so the motor jerks the rear axle.

I’ve messed with the controller programming a little, but I don’t want to mess with it too much. Is there any way I can adjust this thing to just make it smooth and safe, like a stock cart?

It’s great to have all the torque, but I have children riding it, and I’d definitely like it to drive easier. What should I change?

Thank you
Luke L.
I played with my controller a bit. I think you can turn the throttle all the way down and it won’t be as torquey. That’s all the info I can give now. I upgraded mine to 48 and alltrax spm 400amp. At 30% throttle mine will bark the tires on forward and reverse. I’d hate to see it with it turned up more ! It’s a torque monster with the 20 inch tires. I also used a pb-6 so that may “soften” my throttle response a bit?

Last edited by Threewheelmotion; 12-27-2017 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Add more stuff
Threewheelmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelmotion View Post
I played with my controller a bit. I think you can turn the throttle all the way down and it won’t be as torquey. That’s all the info I can give now. I upgraded mine to 48 and alltrax spm 400amp. At 30% throttle mine will bark the tires on forward and reverse. I’d hate to see it with it turned up more ! It’s a torque monster with the 20 inch tires. I also used a pb-6 so that may “soften” my throttle response a bit?
That's the problem I'm having with the throttle. It's just so torquey that it's not really good for children to ride around the yard.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scotty can assist with the Alltrax programming. There are a lot of changes you can do with his assistance. You may want to PM him.

Make sure it is set for turf mode instead of street mode. That softens up the pedal down take off a bit.

The torque and speed curves are easy to set. If you have a laptop connected to it, you can make adjustments and try them easily.

Not sure about the PB6 vs the MCOR throttle response but it should be similar.

Good luck, these guys will help you get it right!

Last edited by Tom47; 12-27-2017 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Added info
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is something you might think about. There has been a lot of problems discussed here about lifting your cart and the brake cables become too short. It shows up when your rear axle twists during high torque or accel. The twisting yanks on the brake cable and applies and releases the brakes. Anyway this sounds like it may be your problem. The solution is easy get a passenger side cable for the drivers side if this is your problem.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car