lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Upgrade Controller for More Torque?

I finally compared my 2020 to my 2021 and the motors are different. 2020 is stamped 40W and 2021 is 50W.

I was hoping they were the same motor w/an upgraded controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3 View Post
Does anyone know if we’ll need to upgrade the solenoid when going to this 600 amp controller? I’ve seen folks upgrading their solenoid when installing Navitas controllers but those installations weren’t for an Icon of course so wondering if anyone knows if we would need to get a bigger solenoid when adding the Navitas to an Icon? Thanks in advance for any insight someone can offer!
I am not an expert in this area, and I've asked a friend and I'm waiting to hear back, but I would guess maybe? It might be ok though. Here's some info that might help you though.

I took a picture of the solenoid in this thread:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=175245

And a quick Google looks like this could be the same one:
https://www.amazon.com/WFLNHB-Contac...dp/B085LCCPTH/

I'm only going off of the picture, I didn't look for serial #'s or anything, literally just what looks like it. Hopefully this info helps somebody with more knowhow give you a better answer.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #12
DM3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks as always ATrain! I’ll hope to hear if you get a reply from your contact but otherwise thanks for always sharing the knowledge that you have! Always greatly appreciated!!
DM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #13
DM3
Not Yet Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvz_nyeb30
Old 06-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #14
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Very cool! I've only hit 37 on my new cart, never 38!

I hate to mention it now...but if the reason your BMS was locking up was the maximum voltage draw was too much against your RoyPow...there's a setting in the Toyota controller where you can set your upper limit to whatever the RoyPow can support.

Either way Navitas controllers are the friend of a tinkerer. I put one on my older golf cart and it was cake.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #15
DM3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks my man! No, I never had a lock up once! I was always just worried about it because I had it programmed so high but in Florida I don’t see any hills so I guess that is why. Ironically I always wondered if I should just ask you how to limit the voltage in the EOS program but didn’t want to bother you with it. But regardless, the Navitas gives me some added peace of mind so all good! My only question is what limit should I set the rpm’s to in the Navitas app? I am at 8000 now and wonder if that is too much or dare I say it, too little lol!!?? Do you have much experience with the Navitas app settings? Thanks as always in advance!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Very cool! I've only hit 37 on my new cart, never 38!

I hate to mention it now...but if the reason your BMS was locking up was the maximum voltage draw was too much against your RoyPow...there's a setting in the Toyota controller where you can set your upper limit to whatever the RoyPow can support.

Either way Navitas controllers are the friend of a tinkerer. I put one on my older golf cart and it was cake.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #16
ATrain
Gone Wild

I've only worked on a Navitas long enough to fix a golf cart I was selling, so not much.

Since your controller can handle more, the most important thing with the RPM's for the motor is heat. Depending on the gauge of the motor windings, they can handle more/less power through them before getting too hot.

When turning the RPMs up a ton, of course, do at your own risk. I saw the Navitas has bluetooth, which should mean a monitoring app for your phone. I would verify the temperature probes are detected properly with the Navitas and you can monitor the motor temperature on your phone.

Three things:

1) Wires #14/15 on the controller wiring harness (orange & orange/white) connect to the motor temperature sensor. You'll want to make sure those connect to the Navitas (or if you can see the temperature on your phone change that verifies).

2) I vaguely recall when I was speaking to one of the lead tech guys at ICON that the temperature sensors may not actually be attached to the motor. This might have been a lazy thing because the factory settings never get too hot? I might have misremembered, but I've always wanted to verify the temperature sensors are on the motor.

3) I recall when speaking with the lead tech guy at ICON that he's had the motors going at 10k RPM's around the factory. Was that a motor alone? On a cart that's on jack stands? Or just driving around on the ground? I don't know.

So if you want to push the limits (which is fun) I think you could turn it up, but personally I would only do it once I felt confident about the temperature sensors and ability for the controller to read that information.

The controller has settings where you can put temperature limits in it, so it will prevent your motor from burning up automatically...that only works w/accurate temperature readings. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
DM3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks my man! Yes, I am monitoring things but I must say that the motor temperature never changes. Must mean what you warned me about in that they never connected the motor temperature gauge. In the Navitas app it simply says -25 all of the time if I remember correctly…. all day, everyday. Will have to look into connecting it as you mentioned. But for now I am pleased with my setup. Not worried about hurting the motor because I would upgrade today if there was a better option available for ICON’s. But funny fact, every time I pass a golf cart I feel bad, but my wife has zero interest in going 19 mph lol! It’s literally her saying to go ahead and pass them eventually. Definitely a first world problem LOL!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #18
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thanks my man! Yes, I am monitoring things but I must say that the motor temperature never changes. Must mean what you warned me about in that they never connected the motor temperature gauge. In the Navitas app it simply says -25 all of the time if I remember correctly…. all day, everyday. Will have to look into connecting it as you mentioned. But for now I am pleased with my setup. Not worried about hurting the motor because I would upgrade today if there was a better option available for ICON’s. But funny fact, every time I pass a golf cart I feel bad, but my wife has zero interest in going 19 mph lol! It’s literally her saying to go ahead and pass them eventually. Definitely a first world problem LOL!
Heh, my girls usually say to slow down.

So with Navitas, they usually have a prebuilt wiring harness, so that you just unplug your Toyota/NEOS controller and plug the entire wire bundle into a wire-adapter that connects to the Navitas.

ICON is so new that their harness may not be correct or your mechanic or somebody may have wired it by hand and not connected those wires.

Or worse yet, if those temperature sensors might actually not be connected to the motor and may just be zip tied randomly under the cart and the reason you're not seeing a temperature change is because the ambient temperature isn't changing enough.

Did you or somebody else install your new controller? I'd love to get a definitive answer on those temperature sensors...they'd make me more likely to take risks with the cart programming if I knew the sensors would protect the motor.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #19
DM3
Not Yet Wild

I see. I did not install it myself. A mechanic did it for me but I am going to ask him what he thinks about you’re thoughts on the motor and the harness and what he remembers. He is supposed to come back out and help me with something else so when he does he can take a better look at it again if necessary. I’ll be in touch as soon as I get an answer. Have a safe holiday!
Old 07-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #20
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

I ordered my 600a controller yesterday, should be here tomm/Fri. I went through Plum Quick and asked a lot of questions before ordering. I was told you do NOT have to upgrade the solenoid, or wiring (should have 4g already), and I referenced multiple direction I've read about upgrading both larger wires and solenoid but he said I would be ok with what i have (also a 4kw motor stock). So, sounds like it's pretty much plug and play and then they can setup the dealer app to make any wanted/needed changes. Though, I did explain to him also that my main interest was to get more torque just on large steep hills, my top speed is fine in fact if it went a couple mph slower I wouldn't mind either just to save batter (we have more hills, and short round trips of 5 mils or so), but the hills eat up the battery so really want to use the OTF to increase torque up the hills then tone back down after the hill to ride just my regular speed I have now...so it could be that I didn't want to ALWAYS be running around at 35 MPH and popping wheelies he said I am ok with my current setup with the 600a controller, but FWIW that's my plan to keep everything stock and just put in the new controller.
sgremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon