lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
sunauto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Steering problem

We have a 2001 DS clubcar with I believe to be a 3 inch Jakes lift with a 23hp Briggs,it is squirrelly on the highway and has bump steer. We made sure the camber is the same on both sides and have 22 inch DOT tires and has 1/4 inch toe. We tryed loosening and tightening the rack but nothing helps. It has a Hummer body on it and along with suggestions will the longer travel lifts help handling and also fit under the body
sunauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Steering problem

how are the rest of the bushings in the front end? if the bushings/ kingpins, and a arms bushings or mounts are worn that could be a problem.

try setting the toe straight. that is how i have it on mine with a supersport lift.

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunauto View Post
We have a 2001 DS clubcar with I believe to be a 3 inch Jakes lift with a 23hp Briggs,it is squirrelly on the highway and has bump steer. We made sure the camber is the same on both sides and have 22 inch DOT tires and has 1/4 inch toe. We tryed loosening and tightening the rack but nothing helps. It has a Hummer body on it and along with suggestions will the longer travel lifts help handling and also fit under the body
I wouldn't expect a lot of bump steer with a spindle lift. Are your shocks new? If the suspension is hitting the end of it's travel that could be your problem. A spindle lift will keep your tires from hitting the body, but it won't make worn out suspension parts any better. My other thoughts are dropping your toe in to 1/8 in. If all your bushings are tight, the shocks are good and your hubs aren't loose on the spindles then I would play with the toe setting until the squirrelyness goes away. Not to assume anything, but are the toe-in measurements being taken correctly? Longer in the rear and shorter at the front face of the tire, if that is reversed, your cart would be all over the road, especially when hitting a bump or letting go of the steering wheel. (closed course, professional driver) Good luck and keep us informed on the results.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

btw all club cars have bump steer. only way to get rid of that is to go to a long travel suspension. that is the problem with the ssteering design.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
sunauto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
how are the rest of the bushings in the front end? if the bushings/ kingpins, and a arms bushings or mounts are worn that could be a problem.

try setting the toe straight. that is how i have it on mine with a supersport lift.

-Aaron
We tryed toe out,toe in at 1/8 or o and still the same. Nothing loose or wore out. I called All Sports and they say it is a problem with club car at higher speeds
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
sunauto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
I wouldn't expect a lot of bump steer with a spindle lift. Are your shocks new? If the suspension is hitting the end of it's travel that could be your problem. A spindle lift will keep your tires from hitting the body, but it won't make worn out suspension parts any better. My other thoughts are dropping your toe in to 1/8 in. If all your bushings are tight, the shocks are good and your hubs aren't loose on the spindles then I would play with the toe setting until the squirrelyness goes away. Not to assume anything, but are the toe-in measurements being taken correctly? Longer in the rear and shorter at the front face of the tire, if that is reversed, your cart would be all over the road, especially when hitting a bump or letting go of the steering wheel. (closed course, professional driver) Good luck and keep us informed on the results.
Everything is new and nothing is obvios.everything looks correct and we tryed toe in, toe out. We have been told that is a problem with club car going faster and needs a A-Arm setup
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
sunauto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
btw all club cars have bump steer. only way to get rid of that is to go to a long travel suspension. that is the problem with the ssteering design.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

i have a all sports supersport lift on my cc with 24 inch tires. at about 30-33 it is still pretty stable. do you have pictures of yoru set up?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
sunauto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
i have a all sports supersport lift on my cc with 24 inch tires. at about 30-33 it is still pretty stable. do you have pictures of yoru set up?
We are going to take the Jakes spindle lift off and we ordered the Allsports and hope it will cure the problem THANKS
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts