lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default alltrax controller

I'm working on a calif. roadster golf cart. It quit running. I get 50.4 volts all the way to the controller.
The led on the alltrax 4844 controller stays green only when the gas pedal is depressed 1/2 way down then when the pedal is pushed to the floor the led light turns to a steady red.
This is a series 48 volt cart

Last edited by jim,s; 05-07-2016 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: add more information
jim,s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: alltrax controller

A quick check of the Alltrax website says that a constant red light indicates "programming mode". Most trouble issues would be indicated by flashing LED lights not a steady light. Sounds like the controller has gone bad... What year is this Ca. Roadster?
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: alltrax controller

Note that full throttle is indicated with the LED turning solid orange. (both red and green lights on) anyway - what model Alltrax control are you asking about NPX or AXE? Any other "fault codes" ? Can we assume this cart is built on a CC frame? Can you tell what the throttle input device is?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #4
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

The alltrax controller is AXE 4844 400 amp with a date of 12/09/2005 S/N 27190 for a series motor. with 0-5 ohm
the throttle input is from an after market from japan,
Yes it looks like a club car frame.

How do I check the motor. can I check for voltage at the motor?
I just remembered that I replaced a cable on the motor a few months ago on this cart.
It would be nice if this lady would keep this cart out of the woods.

I don't know what year the cart is, but with a date of 05 on the controller that may be the year.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Had a good conversation with the tech from alltrax today.
The tech stayed on the phone with me and talked me through the testing of the controller.
The last test for the motor was
1 key on
2 put the cart in gear
3 pedal to the floor as you were driving, rear wheels off the ground for safety.
4 vom lead to B- on the controller other lead to A-1 on the motor. should read either full pack voltage or 0
5 do the same thing from B- to A-2 on the motor. That should be the same reading as the first test either full pack voltage or 0
If the readings are different then the motor is bad. that was the test for the motor. and in my case 1 reading was 0 and the other was 48.8 volts.
That tells me the F&R and solenoid are working.

Does that sound like I did it the right way?

Thanks guys for your input
Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I came across this in my readings. You might want to try it to test the controller.

Light Bulb Test (Curtis Manual)
To conduct the light bulb test, you can use a single light bulb or lamp. We typically use a rubber insulated socket available at the hardware store. Connect B+ and M- to the two wires to the lamp. Make sure they are taped well and will not touch each other. The controller will work as a dimmer switch as you move the throttle. This verifies the operation of the controller.

Or if you want to read the whole article.
http://www.evamerica.com/page44.html
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 AM   #7
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well I just got the cast off my arm so now I can do more testing on the calif roadster.
I did the light bulb test only I used a meter, When hooked up my meter was at 0.
When the key was turned on it went to 24volts. As the pedal was pushed slowly to the floor the meter went up slowly to top out at 50.2 volts.

That seems to tell me the controller is working, Right

I think the motor is bad, what do you guys think?
I hate to tell this lady the cost of a motor. I even told her to take the cart to a dealer for an opinion. Then I will do all the labor for free, But I have to wait until I get the brace off my arm. She said to just leave it at my house.

I might add that the person sitting in the drivers seat was my brother who knows only how to drive a cart. That being said if was difficult to tell him what to do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car