lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Another charging question - ERIC

I have a 2015 Precedent with the ERIC charger (Thanks TahoeDawg) and a digital voltage meter (thanks ScottB).

I have noticed that after a night of charging (10+ hours) the charger shows as completed according to the indicator lights, but my volt meter shows it as high as 62V. It appears to still be running too because if I disconnect the charging plug I hear a click and the voltage drops slowly down to around 51V.

If I let it sit a few more hours connected the voltage eventually comes back down to around 51-51.5.

Is this providing some kind of trickle charge after the initial charge is complete?

Also, how long typically does it take for an ERIC charger to charge batteries fully? I figured it would take less than 10 hours.
brett92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Another charging question - ERIC

Charge time depends on how far discharged the batteries are. Batteries with a very low SOC may need as long as 20 hours to fully recharge. The ERIC charger monitors battery SOC and charges accordingly, so charge times will vary depending on usage. With light use, they may recharge in 3-4 hours. Typical use, riding for a few hours on mostly level terrain, expect it to take 8-12 hours.

Yes the ERIC charger does have a finish charge mode that uses a high voltage, low amp charge rate to make sure the batteries are as full as they can be. The finish voltage varies by the charge profile that's programmed into the charger.

The owners manual for your cart should cover most of what you nee to know about the charger operation. You can also find info and download charge profiles on Delta-Qs website. The ERIC charger is a simpler version of the Delta-Q IC650, so most information about the IC650 also applies to your ERIC.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

At 62v it is still charging. Let it finish... The float charge will be close to 54v. When you get a chance, plug it back in and let it go a day or two if not in use
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Charge time depends on how far discharged the batteries are. Batteries with a very low SOC may need as long as 20 hours to fully recharge. The ERIC charger monitors battery SOC and charges accordingly, so charge times will vary depending on usage. With light use, they may recharge in 3-4 hours. Typical use, riding for a few hours on mostly level terrain, expect it to take 8-12 hours.

Thanks for the reply. I meant to add that I've never drained my cart below 50V according to the gauge. Most times I'm plugging it back up with around 50.5V. We only drive 2-5 miles a day at most. I guess that's why I'm surprised. I get concerned I might be cooking the batteries.

BTW, the gauge appears accurate (confirmed with my multimeter).
Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

My '14 Precedent was doing the same thing - reading 60V+ occasionally. I checked the ERIC charger's profile and it was #256 (whatever that is - couldn't find it on their list of algorithms).

I changed the profile to the recommended algorithm for my T875 batteries (profile #1), and it no longer shows any really high voltage readings. Plus, my batteries don't seem to boil over any more.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I changed the profile to the recommended algorithm for my T875 batteries (profile #1), and it no longer shows any really high voltage readings. Plus, my batteries don't seem to boil over any more.
Interesting...I do have new batteries in it (Powertron 8v). Maybe it was set to charge something else. I'll look into that -thanks.

I took some pictures if anyone is curious just to show what's it's doing. Last night I plug the cart around 8pm. Today at 2pm (18 hours later) the voltage shows 61.6 and the charger is still charging even though the indicator light reports that charging is complete.

I guess I'm concerned at this point. 18 hours and it's still charging my cart (my voltage was right at 50.5 when I plugged it in). BTW, my batteries have about 50 cycles on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ERIC.jpg (92.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage.jpg (172.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That seems like it’s using a chargevprofile with a Float mode that’s keeping the voltage up after charging. It’s not actually charging anymore, it’s just maintaining voltage at a high rate to keep the batteries from discharging before the next use. Some charge profiles have that and some don’t. Whether you need that or not depends on your usage of the cart.

Download Delta-Qs IDAT software (free on their site) and use it to check which charge profile is currently in the charger.
They also should have an algorithm for Powertron batteries (also free to download), if you’re unsure of which one to use email them and ask.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Wow, special thanks to jonr3 and Fairtax4me!

I downloaded the IDAT software and imported the charger data. Like jonr3 mine was set to algorithm 256 which I also cannot find on Delta Q's list. As I feared, my charger was running around 13 hours to 18 hours on average. The screenshot doesn't show it, but there were a few cycles that were 21+ hours.

I went ahead and set it to algoritum #1, but will email them just in case. Thanks again guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge1.jpg (32.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg charge2.jpg (268.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I’m guessing #256 is the club car factory loaded profile. I’m sure DeltaQ has hundreds of them but they don’t list many on their site. Tons of equipment manufacturers use DeltaQ chargers. Floor cleaners, industrial utility vehicles, several golf cart manufacturers, etc. All using different batteries, voltages, and different charge profiles tailored to their specific purpose.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well, unfortunately the charger was still running this morning when I checked (12+ hours later). The cart was around 50.5 when I plugged it up. At this point I'll wait and see what Delta Q says. Worst case I'll just leave it be.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car