lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
sealy99
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Club Car DS OBC/Charging Issue

I recently purchased a 2000 48V Club Car DS that had been sitting in a barn for some time. It had a charger hooked up to it in the barn, which didn't appear to be suitable for a golf cart. The man I purchased it from told me the batteries had been replaced a little over a year prior. There was no charge on the batteries when I purchased the cart.

When I checked the water level on the batteries, the plates were exposed. I filled them with distilled water and it took just shy of 4 gallons of water to fill six batteries.

The charger that he included with the cart would not come on when plugged in. I assumed it was because the voltage on the batteries was so low. I purchased a new Schauer charger, plugged it in, and wah lah, it started charging. 14 hours later, it was still charging and batteries were percolating.

First question: After a full charge, the battery meter on the cart will drop by roughly a third after ten minutes of use. I can get around nine holes on the golf course on about half of a charge. The batteries are reading around 52V after they complete a charge. Is it possible that the batteries are just not accepting a "deep charge" and are damaged from being run so low on water? What is the best way to test this.

Second question: When I plug in the Schauer charger, sometimes it will come on, and sometimes not. I haven't been able to figure out under what circumstances it will and will not charge. My understanding is when the charger is plugged into the cart, the OBC will lock out the drive system on the cart until the charger is removed. It has done this, and other times the cart will still move when the charger is plugged in. I was told that when the OBC fails, it usually fails all at once and is not intermittent. It hasn't worked correctly in 24 hours. I don't think it's in float mode since the battery meter on the cart continues to read 2/3rds of a charge. I tested it tonight by bypassing the OBC with a wire from the neg terminal on battery six directly to the back of the charging port. When I plugged in the charger, it kicked on like it was supposed to. I purchased the cart on a budget anticipating having to buy a charger and batteries, but did not anticipate spending $450 on a new OBC. Is there a reason not to bypass the OBC permanently since I'm using a smart charger?
sealy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2000 Club Car DS OBC/Charging Issue

Ok, first things first. Is the Schauer charger made for a Club Car with an OBC?
I believe the Schauer chargers are stand alone chargers and you need to completely bypass the OBC for them to work.
That being said, the Schauer chargers are "smart" chargers, so you wouldn't need an OBC anyway.
After the charge cycle is complete, the charger will go into float mode and keep your pack just above 100% all of the time.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
sealy99
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. I couldn't tell you if the charger is made specifically for a Club Car with an OBC. I purchased it from a golf cart dealer and am assuming it is. When I first plugged it in to the cart, it came on and charged. I didn't have to bypass the OBC until now. The issue with it not kicking on at all is intermittent. If I understand correctly, the OBC really doesn't serve any other purpose than just maintaining the charge on the cart?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealy99 View Post
I recently purchased a 2000 48V Club Car DS that had been sitting in a barn for some time. It had a charger hooked up to it in the barn, which didn't appear to be suitable for a golf cart. The man I purchased it from told me the batteries had been replaced a little over a year prior. There was no charge on the batteries when I purchased the cart.

When I checked the water level on the batteries, the plates were exposed. I filled them with distilled water and it took just shy of 4 gallons of water to fill six batteries.

The charger that he included with the cart would not come on when plugged in. I assumed it was because the voltage on the batteries was so low. I purchased a new Schauer charger, plugged it in, and wah lah, it started charging. 14 hours later, it was still charging and batteries were percolating.

First question: After a full charge, the battery meter on the cart will drop by roughly a third after ten minutes of use. I can get around nine holes on the golf course on about half of a charge. The batteries are reading around 52V after they complete a charge
Is it possible that the batteries are just not accepting a "deep charge" and are damaged from being run so low on water? What is the best way to test this.
you need to let batteries set for 12hrs before reading voltage
after batteries settle you can use a load tester to see if they are good
with 4 gallons of water used the batteries are more than likely shot ( batteries hold 3/4 gallons of water full )

Second question: When I plug in the Schauer charger, sometimes it will come on, and sometimes not. I haven't been able to figure out under what circumstances it will and will not charge. My understanding is when the charger is plugged into the cart, the OBC will lock out the drive system on the cart until the charger is removed. It has done this, and other times the cart will still move when the charger is plugged in. I was told that when the OBC fails, it usually fails all at once and is not intermittent. It hasn't worked correctly in 24 hours. I don't think it's in float mode since the battery meter on the cart continues to read 2/3rds of a charge. I tested it tonight by bypassing the OBC with a wire from the neg terminal on battery six directly to the back of the charging port. When I plugged in the charger, it kicked on like it was supposed to. I purchased the cart on a budget anticipating having to buy a charger and batteries, but did not anticipate spending $450 on a new OBC. Is there a reason not to bypass the OBC permanently since I'm using a smart charger?
48v Schauer charger are rated at 15 amps it is a stand alone charger ... but not rated for the best charging algorithm , you can by pass the OBC and use it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealy99 View Post
Thanks for the response. I couldn't tell you if the charger is made specifically for a Club Car with an OBC. I purchased it from a golf cart dealer and am assuming it is. When I first plugged it in to the cart, it came on and charged. I didn't have to bypass the OBC until now. The issue with it not kicking on at all is intermittent. If I understand correctly, the OBC really doesn't serve any other purpose than just maintaining the charge on the cart?
that is correct it tells the charger how much voltage was used and how much to replace

i would recommend that you get the DPI 48v 17amp stand alone charger for the club car and new batteries
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

One more question to add to the ones that Kashmir posted:

What is the Amp rating of the Schauer charger you purchased? Can you share more details about it?

I would be afraid that any set of battery's that needed that much water are not coming back to life. Can you post a date code from the batteries?

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
crash test dummy

aflyer ...hi

i posted just before you
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
sealy99
Not Yet Wild

Model on the charger is JAC1548H. 48V 15 Amp. The charger that came with the cart (that I'm discarding) was a 48V 6 Amp. It sounds like the batteries were bone dry. I knew four gallons was a lot for six batteries, but didn't realize they were quite THAT low. The side of the course that I've run the cart on is 4 miles round trip. I'm surprised that I'm able to get that far on a third of a charge, assuming the battery meter is remotely accurate. I don't see a date code on the batteries such as E6 or G5, but after wiping the grease of the top of them, half of them have a sticker that says 2/12 and the other half 1/12. Safe to assume these batteries are actually 5 1/2years old?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
aflyer ...hi

i posted just before you
You must type faster than I do, LOL
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
crash test dummy

yea .. the 6amp charger was just to maintain a charge ... but not with out water

yes those batteries are gone

note: i use a 36v Schauer charger on my work cart and it is great !!!

ask the person you got the 48v Schauer charger from if they hace the DPI 48V 17AMP charger you could trade for ?

Last edited by crash test dummy; 07-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: dang cap lock
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
sealy99
Not Yet Wild

Looks like my wife is getting new golf cart batteries for our anniversary. She'll be SO excited! I may need to install a fold out bed onto the back of the cart...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car