lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default D&D ES-5 high torque motor

Just replaced my Bandit with a ES-5 motor. Don't have much to say at this point but on a slight decline the Bandit would get up to about 28 mph. This motor got up to about 23 on the same decline. The ES-5 reacts quicker when I engage the pedal but I haven't changed the controller settings. If I press the pedal more, the ES-5 is much more responsive.

I'm reasonably strong but it was pretty tough getting this motor onto the shaft. 20# or so heavier than the Bandit about all I could do getting it into place. Lying on my back with not much space to work.

Took a before and after photo. The ES-5 a couple of inches longer than the Bandit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170204_164038880_HDR.jpg (151.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170204_152725065_HDR.jpg (170.1 KB, 0 views)
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: D&D ES-5 high torque motor

I love my Bandit and with the Alltrax controller I purchased from Scorry I have all the torque I need. I do use mine for street use, not hunting, and the streets here are flat but getting across a street quickly and doing 30 MPH is no problem for me, and I'm a lead foot.......
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Maybe it's just the angle, but there doesn't seem to be much clearance for the spring.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have a D&D high torque motor in my cart but I have high speed gears - which required the high torque lower RPM motor. I like it a lot. I get 25MPH with my controller dialed back to 400 Amps.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm getting about 18-19 on flats pavement. On some paved hills around 13. I don't hunt or go off road, just lug around my house and pasture and sometimes on the neighborhood roads. I will say that hills definitely slow it but overall I can tell there's more torque. I haven't tried but I think it would probably do a wheelie as responsive as it is.

As for clearance, about 1/2 or slightly more to the alternative shock mounting stud. It hasn't touched but if it does I can cut off that portion of the mount since I'm not needing to use it.

The Bandit does offer a big bang for the buck. Half the cost of the D&D, had good speed and torque. I just wanted a little more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_154113182_HDR.jpg (88.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_154037533_HDR.jpg (82.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your shock mounts are on upside down, [ask me how I know, DUHH] In your case it doesn't matter too much but if you had the other style of shock you would need the clearance.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dundee, I looked underneath and can't see any other way that it would mount. Not saying you aren't correct I'm just not seeing it. It's a Jakes 6" lift kit and I remember thinking the instructions sucked. I'll see if I can dig up a installation photo next week. If you have a photo please post.

And if anyone wants a Bandit motor I have one at close to 1/2 price. Send me a PM for details. Still looks like new inside and out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_134711944.jpg (95.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_134633691.jpg (140.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_134554349.jpg (214.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_134540557_HDR.jpg (159.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_134652694_HDR.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah, the instruction sheet was a little "sheety". I mounted mine like yours are now the first time too. Then realized my shocks with an eye on the bottom wouldn't clear the motor. Looked at the awesome graphics on the paper and realized that the mount plate should be flipped over and the shock stud should point to the rear of the buggy. Makes no difference to the shock but I did take a piece of pipe and bend the stud up a bit to help with shock alignment, but makes no difference with yours. Anyways, I'm following this thread as I too have a new D&D torque motor but mine is a sepex. The torque so far is awesome and I am working on the speed. Winter is not helping, [unless you want to walk on water, does it ever?]
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Some people love walking on water, or driving car's on it. I prefer heat over cold.

Will look over the instructions this coming week. Does it affect the amount of lift?

I'm already into the series cart but if I were to do it again, I'd investigate going other technologies. I like the idea of Regen braking.

I couldn't find a single bit of info on the web about the ES-5 but they say lots have been sold for hunting buggies. I also don't understand why they custom build them. Seems like it should be an off the shelf motor.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mine is a a custom wind too. No, it does not affect the lift, you are just flipping the top plate. But hey, don't worry about it, you are not using the shock bolt/studs and the mounting hole for your shock does not change. I love the regen, so far, I had it set to not lock up the rear wheels on snow but still slow you down. I hardly use the brakes. Only to stop in close quarters or to change direction quickly. The fact that it charges the batteries [up to 40a for a second or 2] does little for the "big picture" in the country. Drives like my farm tractors, let off the throttle and you slow down. Mode one, [low speed] boosts the torque too. But this is my first cart so I have no experience with hot series motors so maybe I'm missing something there too.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car