lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
AMDnutt
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie battery questions...

Hello all, been reading a lot at this forum for a little while now. You all have a lot of information to offer and have taught me quite a few things so far. Hopefully I can return the favor with any help I can offer in the future.

We bought a 2004 CC IQ last fall and over the winter I have installed a lift, 23" tires, etc. and it is time to turn attention to the batteries. I know the battery topic has been posted a lot and I have learned from the previous post but I have a couple of questions.

I have narrowed my battery choices to either Trojan T-875, or Crown, or Batteries Plus GC8V's. Currently the cart has 2004 T-860's which are in poor shape.

The Batteries Plus GCV8's say "Rayovac" on them but the BP guys said they are made by Deka. Does anyone know if this is true? The Deka looks like a good battery and weighs 3 lbs. more than the Trojan. They are also $25 per bat cheaper so I am leaning towards them.

Second question: when filling the battery, I read that using distilled water, fill to the bottom of the cell tube but no higher. Well, I did this and the batteries seem to be boiling water out as they are always wet. Should I keep the level 1/4" below the cavity tube bottom? Or do you think that the old batteries are causing boiling due to bad cells?

Thanks for the info guys!
AMDnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie battery questions...

I always fill them just above the plates..... 1/4" below the top. And also everyone rips on me for this but at the course we fill the batts with pond water and we get 5-8yrs out of all of our batteries.
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I know I people are gonna say what they want but, we have a 80 cart electric fleet and have been doing this for 10+ years at the course. We also sell 300+ carts a year and have had no problems on this.
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
AMDnutt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, I will stay 1/4" from the top from now on.

When I was young (years ago!) before maintenance free batteries were the norm in cars, we filled them with tap water from the cystern well. It worked fine and is probably close to your pond water!
AMDnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car