lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
buckmaster
Not Yet Wild

Default Briggs 18 hp Twin II for G9

Hi all, I have a G9 with a weak engine. I want to replace it with a Briggs 18 hp Twin II engine I have, that is in a older Simplicity tractor. I am not after more speed, just more power for pulling hills. I have had the G9 for a couple of years, I built a 6 in lift for it, put a power kit on it, and four wheelers tires on it. Still runs good, just lost a lot of power over the last year.
I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.
1, Can I get a Rev Kit, or other proformance parts for this motor? ( Briggs Twin II 18hp I/C Model 422437 )
2, The Briggs runs in the wrong direction, will it be OK to run the G9 in reverse all the time?
3, What kind of proformance should I expect out of the Briggs, compared to the stock Yamaha G9 engine?
Don`t mean to throw a bunch of questions out, but I would be greatful for any help or advise. Buckmaster
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Briggs 18 hp Twin II for G9

Welcome buckmaster!
There are just a few opposed twin users here, but by the model number on yours it should work. Very little aftermarket parts available, just not much demand. But they produce lots of low end torque, just expect to keep it in the 3000 rpm range.
I wouldn't think that it would turn clockwise?? but not sure on this.
May check out heymow.com, if anyone is hopping them up, those lawnmower racers will know about it!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Briggs 18 hp Twin II for G9

Howdy buck... Big Block it. You'll love it...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
buckmaster
Not Yet Wild

Thank yall, I have a set of tourches, mig, and a lath, one way or anouther, it is going in.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

For what you say you want it for, that motor stock will be MORE than enough stock. Your problem will now be Traction!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
buckmaster
Not Yet Wild

The Briggs has a 1" shaft, I believe I will need the Comet 780 Clutch. Besides fitting a 1" shaft, is there any proformace different from the Yamaha clutch? I noticed by the picture that the Comet 780 Clutch does not have a pulley for the electric motor. How can I run the electric motor with the 780? I know alot of poeple set it up to idle, but I like the push the padel and go setup. Advise anyone?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
The Briggs has a 1" shaft, I believe I will need the Comet 780 Clutch. Besides fitting a 1" shaft, is there any proformace different from the Yamaha clutch? I noticed by the picture that the Comet 780 Clutch does not have a pulley for the electric motor. How can I run the electric motor with the 780? I know alot of poeple set it up to idle, but I like the push the padel and go setup. Advise anyone?
There are other clutches that will work for the 1" like the 94C. For lower (less than 4500) RPM's this could be set up to work just fine for less $$. The 780 is a great clutch though. The "7" in your engine model designates an electric start version with an alternator which normally "deletes" the need for the old starter/ generator. Honestly this is what most want in a BB engine. Extend the B/S wiring harness and use the key to start and stop, being careful from now on to know if you are F/N/R. I think you can also wire the micro in the F/N/R to only allow a start in neutral for safety purposes!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

As far as the rev kit goes you can get the stiffer/ dual springs and quality retainers, and then pull the governor. Not sure if you can find a cam for it though. That, a better exhaust and an aftermarket intake/ air filter should have you at the pucker factor!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I have, that is in a older Simplicity tractor. I am not after more speed, just more power for pulling hills. I have had the G9 for a couple of years, I built a 6 in lift for it, put a power kit on it, and four wheelers tires on it. Still runs good, just lost a lot of power over the last year. What kind of proformance should I expect out of the Briggs, compared to the stock Yamaha G9 engine?
Don`t mean to throw a bunch of questions out, but I would be greatful for any help or advise. Buckmaster
to BGW buckmaster .......
Check this link out and maybe get with Goat to pick his memory banks ... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...ndia-cart.html The Hyundai I think is the Yamaha's Bast*rd brother and lots of parts fit onto either ....... That being said, Goat did a rebuilt with the Bruiggs 18HP opposed, altering the swingarm similar to the way you will need to for it to work. From what I remember, he was getting like 35 mph from it? .... good luck
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!