lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 48v to 12v with a switch question

My Club Car came with a light kit and a 12v reducer. Recently I decided to add a bunch of LED strips underneath and around the roof's interior.

My cart has Qty 5 of the Allied 48v batteries running in parallel. Because I don't want to mess with the current wiring for head/tail lights/12v reducer (that is mounted underneath), I bought another reducer, a fuse block and a separate switch so I can turn all the LEDs on and off independent of everything else wired on the cart.

I now have everything ready to go. I've mounted the switch, run the wires back to the battery well where I'm gonna have the new 12v reducer running from 1 of the 48v batteries. But now I want to make sure I understand how to wire the switch.

I am thinking I need to run the 48v straight to the 12v reducer and then have the positive output of the 12v reducer run through my switch before it gets back to positive on the fuse block. Is that right?

Or....could I put the switch between the 48v and the 12v reducer? I'm not sure I should send 48v to the switch before it gets to the new 12v reducer

any help is appreciated
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48v to 12v with a switch question

Which brand or style reducer are you using? Can you add a picture? There are many brands and some or most have a 48 volt switch wire that can go to your key switch.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

It just has the 4 wires so no key wire. 30amp.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRRD78K...G8WQ7TCBBFHS6A
Old 09-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Fwiw..

I have a spare toggle switch. On its side it's marked with the following info.

10A 277vac
20A 125vac
3/4 HP
125-250vac

Would this switch work for a kill switch between to 48v and reducer?

I don't mind having two switches. One to the reducer and the other (12v 15amp) for the accessories.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have to ask, why are you complication things with a second reducer? You should be able to tap into the 12 volt (+) wire before the headlight switch.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
I have to ask, why are you complication things with a second reducer? You should be able to tap into the 12 volt (+) wire before the headlight switch.
Because I don't know how to do that...and I didn't want to f-up my existing electrical.

So given what I've already done....will this switch work between the 48v and the 2nd reducer?
Old 09-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Ok. So a switch is a switch. To make things easy in this case since you want to have a switch I would put the switch on the 48 volt positive side. This way you can turn the reducer on and off with your switch and in turn it will also act as a switch for your accessories since when you turn the switch off it turns the reducer off
Old 09-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott quail View Post
Ok. So a switch is a switch. To make things easy in this case since you want to have a switch I would put the switch on the 48 volt positive side. This way you can turn the reducer on and off with your switch and in turn it will also act as a switch for your accessories since when you turn the switch off it turns the reducer off

That's what I was thinking too....but I was nervous about whether any ole switch will do. I've read some may not be wise to use for the 48v?
Old 09-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Well what youre describing has the markings of an AC switch. Batreries and accessories are DC power. Im not certain of the difference as far as switches but you can also just grab a DC toggle switch at any parts store for a few bucks but id assume that a switch rated for 20amps and 125 ac volts then it should be fine with 48vdc and a 10 amp fuse. I would fuse the 48v positive to the reducer as well.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott quail View Post
Well what youre describing has the markings of an AC switch. Batreries and accessories are DC power. Im not certain of the difference as far as switches but you can also just grab a DC toggle switch at any parts store for a few bucks but id assume that a switch rated for 20amps and 125 ac volts then it should be fine with 48vdc and a 10 amp fuse. I would fuse the 48v positive to the reducer as well.
Thanks. The reducer came with a "built in" fuse on the input positive. Are you suggesting I put an additional 10amp fuse on the line between the 48v + and the switch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car