lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Fe 350 additional alternator

Long time no post here. I have a new project, two of them actually. I picked up a 96 carryall 2 plus the other day. It has a fe 350 with a automobile style alternator. This is my first gas cart I thought they only had a starter generator but not in this case.
The previous owner cut all of the wires. I found some wiring diagrams and have the cart running. sort of (I have been using pliers on the solenoid a new one is on the way) I can't seem to find any diagrams that include the alternator any help would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190224_181042.jpg (250.5 KB, 0 views)
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Fe 350 additional alternator

Can you post some pics of the alternator setup?
They may have fitted alternators on service or industrial carts that needed more current available than the starter generator could supply on it's own.

Typically alternators are very simple to hook up, one or two wires, but proper connection would depend on if it has an internal or external voltage regulator.

Do you need the alternator? You could simplify everything and remove it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Just got some pictures the first ones were too large.
It looks like a stock install as far as mounting as the alternator. I think the plastic roof was also orginal or maybe the roof company installed the alternator. It had electric windshield whipper, dome light, yellow flasher on the roof, and a full light kit with turn signals and horn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190225_201712.jpg (242.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190225_201704.jpg (265.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190225_201638.jpg (263.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190225_203536.jpg (254.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by branson; 02-25-2019 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What is going on with that oil filter?!?
It’s looks like someone didn’t know that could/should be changed! That screams poor maintenance and neglected oil changes which are a big red flag on a 350. That motor might be toast. Those have aluminum link rods that wear at the big end and gouge the crank journal. Bad link rods will fill the engine oil with glitter first, next they break and take out the whole thing. Usually the crank is trashed by that point and that’s a $900 part. Check the oil for sparklies and cut that filter open and check it for debris.

On to the alternator. Can you see any manufacturer name stamped in the case of that thing? It almost looks like a small case Denso but I can’t tell from the pics. Looks like it may have a built in regulator with that 2 pin plug on the back. Typically those are 12v supply from the fuse panel, and 12v feed from a charge warning lamp. The warning lamp circuit is also the field circuit which makes the alternator actually charge.
Where does that large red wire connect? Straight to the battery or to the solenoid?

Is the small yellow wire from the starter generator still hooked to the yellow wire on the voltage regulator in the box next to the solenoid?
Old 02-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick responses FT
Yea that oil filter is ugly, it is not rusted through it is cracked. I think someone overtightened it before then used pliers to change, not having the right one and put the old one back. The oil looks good with no glitter although I did not check after running it. Oil and filter is next on the list.
As far as where the wires went the big red from the alternator went to the solenoid B+, the other 2 I don't know. When I say all the wires were cut I mean everything I got a 25 gallon planter with all of the electrical parts and 15 pieces of wiring harness.
I traded it for an ezgo PDS with no batteries so I think I'm doing ok so far.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm 90% sure that the alternator is a factory item, (although, it's only the 3rd one I've seen on BGW in the last 11 years)
I don't have really any info about it, except the thread I replied to a few years ago had a BOAT LOAD of factory accessories...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-question.html

Here's an Illustrated Parts list for your cart, it has wiring diagrams, but nothing that shows the alternator, or wiring.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Wow that sounds like the exact same setup as mine full cab and stake bed the whole nine yards. I don't see any ceramic heater but there are a few switches that don't do anything and it makes sense with an extra alternator.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you get a good look at the alternator to see if it has any brand name or model numbers on it?

Also didn't notice it before but took a second look at the pics and I see someone has totally bypassed the governor on that cart and connected the throttle cable straight to the carb. Not a huge deal if you can learn to keep it under the rev limiter, but if the rev limiter is disconnected it can allow the engine to over rev and blow up.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

No I havent found any thing on the alternator yet, I think I may need to remove it I think the 2 small wires may have markings there. For now all of the wires are disconnected. It also needs a belt it is missing a lot of ribs when I size that I will look closer. Yes all of the governor is disconnected it does have a Rev limiter that does work. Seems like a lawnmower would Rev higher but it goes pretty good on the road so I guess sound isn't everything
It does have a new oil filter and oil now the carb is as clean as I can get it without removing the stripped main jet. It idles and runs ok but I think it is in desperate need of a fuel pump.
Right now the only wires on this thing go to the key switch and oil light. I do not have any of the shifter switches connected. The only thing I can tell they do is the reverse alarm and engine kill if throttle is opened in neutral. I have some leftover micro switches from a ezgo I could use how important are they? This cart is a key start I think I might perfer a pedal start if I have to lean foward to turn the key off every time I want to shift gears. Would the shifter switches fix that?

And of course if there's no pictures it didn't happen I had my son ride around with me in the yard today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190227_182914-1.jpg (147.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It looks like a Denzo unit from the pic.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car