lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
bodydropped72
Getting Wild

Default Clutch calibration

Hey guys just put an 18hp kohler in my cart, I'm using a Polaris 2 stroke snowmobile engine clutch(i already had it) I wanna redo the spring/weight calibration to make it activate faster. I'm sure the springs are to stiff for a lower rpm motor. Any recommendations on where to get the stuff I need
bodydropped72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch calibration

Polaris dealer? Also a place online that I found that does sled clutches is Dennis Kirk, they are not a sponsor, but I haven't found any sponsors that carry the sled clutch parts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
bodydropped72
Getting Wild

K well wanna say my bad up front it's actually a Polaris sportsman 500 primary... How do I make it a little more responsive
bodydropped72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ok, for a Polaris Sportsman 500, do a google and look up parts for that clutch online. You should find lots of stuff. More responsive? Not sure what you mean. I'm assuming you want quicker engagement and faster shift out? Both will be achievable with aftermarket parts, but be prepared to spend some cash. Those clutches are typically setup to engage pretty low. You'll find the stock settings online also. Not sure I'd mess too much with it. Usually the atv guys want to raise engagement speed 200 rpm to gain more wheel speed.

What are you looking to accomplish?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Primary basics: spring length is engagement and strength is shift rpm (more is higher rpm). Heavier weights lower shift rpm given the same spring. Different shape weights shift in different places like low or at higher speeds, usually weights with more weight at the end shift more at top speeds, that means lower rpm at top speeds. Shift rpm is the rpm you see at full throttle after take off and before the clutch is fully shifted out at top speeds, it should be where your engine makes peak power. Most stock lawn and cart engines that is around 3-4K rpm but an atv it may be 5-7K rpm/etc, a sled may be 7-10K all depends on the engine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!