lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 16 volts on Digital meter even with key off

I have a precedent 2014 with ERIC charger. Installed digital volt meter using Scotty’s option 2. Plus goes to blue wire on key switch and minus goes to black yellow wire. I read 16.5 all the time when switch is off then increases to 19 volt depending if charging cable is plugged in when key switch is off. I get correct reading 48 plus volts when key switch is in on position. I though maybe I was getting feed back from my lights but when I disconnected the wire going to the batteries for my lights I still had 16 volts on meter. I do not have a DC to DC converter on this cart. I only use my head lights maybe twice a year, so not really worried about mismatched voltage draw.

Anybody have this problem when installing meter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 16 volts on Digital meter even with key off

The problem is with the low voltage negative wire.

You have to use the pack negative for the low voltage or you will get back feed on the key switch.

The only other option is to install a diode with enough current capacity for the
requirements with the cathode or side with the band towards the negative battery post.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok was afraid of that tried to cheat by using the black and yellow wire as ground. Will run a wire right to negative battery and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok ran a quick wire right to battery ground as you suggested. Same problem reading 16 volts with switch off.

Wish I had a spare diode laying around would see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well ordered some diodes and switch’s also a relay from Amazon. Used to have a huge stash of parts for electronics that I accumulated over the years. Unfortunately I got rid of a lot of it when I moved out west to AZ. Now I could kick myself, never throw anything away. Because you will need it some time in the future, guaranteed.

A 1N4004 should do the trick 1A 400V the Digital meter hardly draws any current. If that doesn’t work will just install small switch to turn meter off and on.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just thinking maybe switch itself is going bad leaking a small amount of current just enough to trigger the meter? Kind of don’t think that is possible but who knows? Will have to check resistance with ohm meter next time I pull the dash apart.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #7
alchemy
Gone Wild

I just wired my 2013 carryall 6 using the black yellow and blue from the key switch and it works fine. The original red gauge wire works too but it's always on.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

The black/yellow wire on the dashboard of a Precedent is the correct place for a voltmeter negative connection.

One possible way to back feed power to the "switched" side of a Precedent key switch is if you are trying to tap 16v for lights and don't use the pack negative as reference.

The proper negative connection is also typically supplied as a 12ga black wire with a Yellow female bullet connector near the center of the battery compartment.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I purchased cart the dealer or previous owner installed lights and turn signals. He used two of the batteries for the 16 volts. I tried disconnecting one of those wires to see if that effected the problem. I was still getting a voltage on the meter. Will try taking both wires off the batteries and see what happens.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The problem is the negative black wire, it needs to be pack negative or the existing black wire with yellow bullet connector.

The Blue wire goes to the battery post(s) that measure 16.x volts from pack negative.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car