lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
chjoak
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cart seems to be running out of juice when batteries are 1/2 full

Bought a used ClubCar (2015 I think) back in Feb/Mar. A few weeks after getting it we had an incident where it acted as if we had run the battery almost completely down but the low battery indicator never came on. Since then we just made sure to plug it in after each time we used it and never had issues. A few weeks ago I installed a new battery gauge so I would know exactly how much juice was in it. Yesterday afternoon my wife took it out. Gauge showed about 3/4 "full". It started acting funny (moving slowly & a kind of stop/start jerking motion) on the way home and I ended up having to go push them a block or so home because it was crawling. The weird part was that the gauge still showed 1/2 full and I verified that with a voltmeter when we got it back in the garage. My expectation is that the cart should be able to run the battery down much more than half so I assume there is probably a bad component somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?
chjoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart seems to be running out of juice when batteries are 1/2 full

What were the readings you were getting with volt meter? Also is this one of those led gauges with the green and red bars on it? Most here will tell you to get a voltage meter vs. that "fuel tank" style ones so you know exactly how much juice you have the led bar ones are not accurate. If you can duplicate it and do think its a battery issue take the pack voltage and the voltage of all the individual batteries and go from there. Good battery maintenance is not letting the charge drop below 50% as it really diminished the life of the pack, ideally you dont want your pack voltage much below 48.5v.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am a mere mortal compared to the many wizards here on BGW but I'll give it my 0.2 cents.

First you need to read this sticky.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=81161

The gauge you bought might not serve you as well as one that shows the actual pack voltage.

This chart is in the above link - it may very well explain your issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48v_cart.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
chjoak
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Off the top of my head, I do not recall the actual reading.

Yes it is the bar gauge. Wasn't aware they weren't accurate but it is better than the old gauge which only came on when you had like 10% life left.

I had gotten advice about checking the batteries a bit more closely. We charged last night and I plan to test this weekend to A) log the voltage readings for the pack & individual as the bars on the gauge decrease and B) see if I can replicate the issue around the same bar level.
chjoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car