lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
mrgeorge10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 diff on club car bb

hi all new to forum. thanks already for all the detailed info from old posts. i picked up a 99 club car and was motivated after all the great jobs on this forum and lifted and bb it.
16 hp vanguard so far so good, but slow in forward and break neck in reverse. i know about ccw vs cw and thats my problem. can forward and reverse gears be switched in diff or should i just look for a used pre 97 diff. i am a pretty good fabricator, and know engines like the back of my hand, so pulling the diff apart doesn't scare me. just looking to see if anyone has attempted this before or if it is pointless. thanks george
mrgeorge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 99 diff on club car bb

club car loaded everyone in the same boat after 1997 with their crummy clockwise transaxel. i would like to follow your progress in this as i have a 1997 cc that is torn down for a big block up grade. i've chosen to flip the motor around and put a 'though shaft' on the fly wheel side. please post your solution.
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
mrgeorge10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

your approach sounds good, a lot of work, but good. not sure how to work out the brake cable direction yet though. also mounting the engine cradle on the opposite side of the diff would be a challenge. i think a different diff or swapping the gears might be a first solution first. ill let you know
Old 10-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeorge10 View Post
your approach sounds good, a lot of work, but good. not sure how to work out the brake cable direction yet though. also mounting the engine cradle on the opposite side of the diff would be a challenge. i think a different diff or swapping the gears might be a first solution first. ill let you know
just rotating motor 180 derees in engine cradle. other that that motor will be in the same place. only real worry is: will the bearings on the flywheel side be enough. if it all goes bad and detonates i can always get another motor.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
mrgeorge10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i do have a koller motor on a lawn mower that does run implements on both sides of the crank. not sure of exact motor or size shaft but i know its a 27hp. i will look today. this would work, one side would be the correct cw direction perfect for a cw trans. wish i thought of this before mounting my vanguard. thanks good idea.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
mrgeorge10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok figured this out... a kawasaki FH721D 25hp that is on one of my commercial mowers has a 1" shaft on both sides of the crank. one ccw runs the deck clutch and the other has a 3" pulley for 2 hydraulic pumps. this one goes thru the flywheel. looks like it could handle the torque but i am not sure how the bearings would hold up. in my experience these kawasaki engines are bullet proof. 5000 hrs of abuse before problems, if taken care of. ok this will work for you but i would still would like to see about the stock trans gear swap. (i already bought the 16hp vanguard.) so lets keep this tread alive...anyone??
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

what could go wrong???? most of those motors turn a lot more torque and abuse on the implement side. my mowers take a bigger beating on the flywheel side turning snow blowers, mower deck, or tiller than the other side does. just flip the motor around. problem solved. no messing around with the transaxel unless you want highspeed gears. if you keep going with the motor you are planning on you may not be happy with the results. but i want to know how it goes either way. right now my cart is stuffed in the corner waiting for my time to free up. i have a collection of stuff to make it live again in a big pile, and an impatient wife who doesn't 'believe'.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was in the same boat as you two guys for my 99 cart. I wanted to use the pto side for cw rotation in my 99. I found some opposed twins cheap to try but never got the motivation to do it. All I would loose is $100 for the motor and time. So I kept looking on craiglists and put out multiple adds until I found an 86 with the correct ccw rearend. I oaid $300 for the entire cart minus body but the ccw was worth it as a swap will be easier. I still wanna try the pto shaft for cw engine rotation in my 99 cart just to tell all it can be done. I bet it would work, just one of us must do it.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
mrgeorge10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the info. im going to start looking for a used cart with the right trans. seems to be the cheapest and easiest way out. dont get me wrong first chance i have im going to pull the 99 trans apart and see what i can do with what i have.
oh and by the way in case you couldnt figure this out... dont go full speed in reverse (probably 25mph) with my set up and try to steer. i flipped the cart and busted my ankle. cart is fine roof and supports are mangled. but the new paint job is fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20101022_182618.jpg (50.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeorge10 View Post
thanks for the info. im going to start looking for a used cart with the right trans. seems to be the cheapest and easiest way out. dont get me wrong first chance i have im going to pull the 99 trans apart and see what i can do with what i have.
oh and by the way in case you couldnt figure this out... dont go full speed in reverse (probably 25mph) with my set up and try to steer. i flipped the cart and busted my ankle. cart is fine roof and supports are mangled. but the new paint job is fine
Ouch, glad all you hurt was your ankle.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!