lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
loomisfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 252 Wiring Conern

Just purchased a Melex 252 Serial#171482. Based on that number, I'm assuming it's anywhere from a 1986 to 1994?? Anyway, when you put it either in forward or reverse, it moves (without pressing the gas pedel). I'm thinking that should not be happening and I'm guessing we have a mis-wiring problem? Also, because there's no longer a key, someone installed a toggle switch that does nothing, so that must also be mis-wired.
Other than those issues, the cart runs fine.
My biggest concern is the moving without the gas pedal being pressed. That also creats an issue when charging because if the F/R lever gets bumped, we get full power to the unit and the coil gets RED, RED hot.
Any thoughts how you would approach these issues? (I thought I would reach out to some knowledge players before I jumped into this thing)
Thank you for your support.
loomisfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Melex 252 Wiring Conern

Reach down to the accelerator and see if you can pull it up. If you can pull it up, you may hear the solenoid click. Thats a good sign if it does because it means the solenoid has released and the Pedal is sticking. If so, lube the pedal mechanisim.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I got my first cart in that shape. I suggest you find the ezgo wiring diagram which is closest to your cart in components and rewire from A to Z. All your problems will disappear!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
loomisfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Rusty. Ok, I verified that the pedal is not sticking(it has good movement so it's not engaged when I move to forward or reverse position.

Using the wiring diagram provided by Vintage web site, I verified that the primarly wiring is correct(I say primary because their diagrams do not go into detail on how the switches or solenoid should be wired). The only concern I might have is the wiring diagram did not specifically say it was for a 252 with serial#171482, but it sure looks like it's the one to use.

I assume the micro switch for the Accelerator should be wired in the normally closed positon(this is how it's wired currently). What was interesting was I dis-connected on side of that micro switch and it continued to run as if it were wired??? I ohmed out the switch and it was reading as expected.

I assume the solenoid is working correctly because the motor is getting power??

I'm missing something here, just not sure what it is.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I assume your solenoid is hot all the time! LOL
Microswitch doing nothing! Maybe redundant heat?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Yepper......... It sounds like the Solenoid is definately stuck in the "GO" position.

The contacts are probably burned closed in the solenoid. This is based on your saying about the pedal micro switch, works normal or opens and closes properly with the actuator. Also you disconnected the micro switch circuit and the motor still had power.

Replace solenoid with another 36 volt solenoid.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

But he also said the key was disabled and toggle does nothing? I'll bet solenoid is good just miswired = START OVER!!! LOL
Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
loomisfarmer
Not Yet Wild

Solenoid could be the problem. I removed both wires from the solenoid so nothing should be turning it on and I still get power to the motor when I engage forward or reverse. I'll pick up a new one on Sat and see it that solves the problem.

PS. When I had it running, I was checking voltage on motor. When cart is in reverse I was reading about 22v, when in forward about 12v. Is that normal? I would think they both would be about the same.... I was also reading about 22v across the toggle switch someone installed in place of the key. That means 22v is also going to the micro switch on the accelarator... Assuming that's ok. I'm not very well versed on 36v systems.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should read 36v across all the secondary circuts as well as the primaries. You need to just rewire what you have except the toggle switch that is kinda ghetto. Get a 2pole key switch and download a wiring diagram!!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

The 22 volts is certainly not normal. I'm assuming that the motor "on" status is or has been pulling the voltage down. Do you have the same for total battery pack voltage?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts