lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Default DCS troubleshooting

There is a closed thread for DCS troubleshooting and it has a couple of PDF files in them. However, when I try to download them, I get a message they are invalid. Does someone have them and can email them to me?
Thejustices2011@Yahoo.com

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Default Re: DCS troubleshooting

Please disregard my last message, I logged in on my laptop and was able to download them.
Tomorrow night I'm digging into a buddies DCS that keeps blowing controllers. They work for a while, but then typically they'll only go forward or reverse for a while, not both, and then they'll quit. Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejudge View Post
Please disregard my last message, I logged in on my laptop and was able to download them.
Tomorrow night I'm digging into a buddies DCS that keeps blowing controllers. They work for a while, but then typically they'll only go forward or reverse for a while, not both, and then they'll quit. Any advice is much appreciated.

Replace the stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS (or larger) controller.

The DCS was EZGO's first attempt with a sepex drive and the controller has a fatal flaw, no under-voltage protection.

If the cart has taller than stock (18") tires or a rear seat, a stock DCS controller won't last very long.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Replace the stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS (or larger) controller.

The DCS was EZGO's first attempt with a sepex drive and the controller has a fatal flaw, no under-voltage protection.

If the cart has taller than stock (18") tires or a rear seat, a stock DCS controller won't last very long.
Thanks Johnnie B. So you're suggesting that the drawdown of moving larger tires is causing a low voltage situation and causing something inside the controller to pop? Is that correct?

Old 03-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejudge View Post
Thanks Johnnie B. So you're suggesting that the drawdown of moving larger tires is causing a low voltage situation and causing something inside the controller to pop? Is that correct?

In perfect condition, the six 6V batteries in a 36V battery pack drop roughly 1V for every 100A being drawn from them. A set of 4Ga high current cables (Total of 10 cables for a sepex -DCS drive) with perfectly attached lugs and corrosion free connections will add another 1v/100A, or so.

Stock cables were 6Ga, so the voltage drop of the stock cables is higher.
The contacts of the stock solenoid are only rated for 85A and are most likely pitted and burnt, adding more voltage drop.

It takes more amps to turn taller than stock tires, so the more amps drawn, the more the battery pack voltage drops.

The battery pack voltage decreases as the SoC (State of Charge) decreases and the lower the SoC, the greater the voltage drop per 100A of draw, so the voltage drop at the end of a trip when the battery is partially discharged is greater than it is at the beginning of the trip when batteries are fully charged.

The above issue are what a well designed, output protected controller has to contend with. A poorly designed controller without output protection, such as the Curtis 1206SX, doesn't stand a chance of surviving.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO