Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
steelsoldiers
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Steelsoldiers’ 1969 Harley Utilicar Resto Project

Hi All! This is my first post on the BGW forum. I have restored all sorts of vehicles over the years, but never a golf/utility cart! We are in the process of renovating an old home on about five acres and have been wanting some sort of vintage utility cart to use on our property. I started searching Facebook Marketplace and found this 1969 HD Utilicar about an hour from our house. I loaded up my oldest boy and we went to fetch it. It’s been sitting for a long time, so we’re going to be going through all of the major systems before we get it on the road.

Here are a few pics from the retrieval and after we knocked about ten pounds of filth off of it at the car wash.

Stay tuned for lots of progress reports!
steelsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Steelsoldiers’ 1969 Harley Utilicar Resto Project

Nice:

Here is link to a stash of HD service manuals:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/

As well, there is a specific sub-forum dedicated to HD carts. You may want to post questions there to make sure the HD gurus get them.

I have 8 carts, 7 of which are vintage that I have restored. You'll have a blast working on that thing.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
steelsoldiers
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Nice:

Here is link to a stash of HD service manuals...

As well, there is a specific sub-forum dedicated to HD carts. You may want to post questions there to make sure the HD gurus get them.

I have 8 carts, 7 of which are vintage that I have restored. You'll have a blast working on that thing.
Thanks for the link to the service manuals and the tip about the Harley sub-forum!

I got the cart into the garage and up onto some jack stands so I could begin tearing it down. The right rear wheel came off without any excitement, but the left rear was a different story. Something extremely corrosive was sprayed on it at some point because the wheel, lugs and axle nut were crazy corroded. I ended up having to take a torch and a cutoff wheel to the lugs to get the wheel off. Things got really exciting when the hot slag burned a hole in the inner tube!

Once I got the wheel off, I fabbed a brake drum puller out of scraps in the shop and pulled the drum off. Much to my surprise, the brake shoes and hardware were gone! I guess someone gutted the hydraulic brakes when the master cylinder failed and just relied on the hand brake.

I also got a BIG order placed at Vintage Golf Car Parts and picked up a few things on eBay. Just have to wait for the brown truck to drop stuff off.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
WVHarley
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

It will be worth every tear an beer in the end. Trust me, been there done that. Check out the Harley threads, a lot of good info and GREAT guys that help me with my restoration. Have fun! drink beer! say bad words! and buy a big box of bandaids
WVHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
steelsoldiers
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVHarley View Post
It will be worth every tear an beer in the end. Trust me, been there done that. Check out the Harley threads, a lot of good info and GREAT guys that help me with my restoration. Have fun! drink beer! say bad words! and buy a big box of bandaids
Thanks! I’ll definitely check out the HD threads. Beer almost always makes turning wrenches better. I’m a fellow hillbilly, so we’ll have to get together and talk shop sometime!

My gently used wheels/tires from eBay showed up today. Much better than the rusty and dry rotted crap it was rolling on when I brought it home. We’re one step closer to getting it on the road!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C151552-FDE1-47FD-9AAD-33E9C9FD2DF3.jpg (15.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
steelsoldiers
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

My big box of parts from Roderick at Vintage Golf Car Parts arrived yesterday, so I got motivated to head out into the garage to tear the brake system apart. Not surprisingly, almost every fitting was rusted/seized in place. I was hoping to reuse the hard lines, but most of them have some serious surface rust and scale, so I’ll be heading to the auto parts store for some new coated lines and fittings. Hopefully, I’ll get my hard lines bent up tonight and then start putting the system back together. My one hangup is the rubber line at the rear suspension pivot. I haven’t found it online anywhere, so it looks like I’ll have to get one made or find an auto part that will fit. I’ll post over in the HD section to see if anyone has tackled this issue before.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #7
steelsoldiers
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

I got the hard brake lines and rubber flex line removed from the cart tonight. I also pulled the stoplight sensor. I’m taking all of the lines to a local shop called Nova Rubber and they’ll make up some new ones for me. As you can see from the photos, they are pretty nasty. Once I get the lines back I’ll start with the new master cylinder and then work my way back to the wheels. More updates soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE707F79-9C1E-4DE2-8295-0C42042D0300.jpg (250.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 540D8D0F-B746-489F-8C3D-BD790D71DABA.jpg (170.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E999B5DB-63FF-4825-BF6A-1EBB515E9E52.jpg (178.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The Utilicar is pretty cool! How are the brake lines progressing?
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
steelsoldiers
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
The Utilicar is pretty cool! How are the brake lines progressing?
Well, they're still sitting in the back of the cart waiting to be installed. Shortly after we got the Harley, we bought a fixer upper house down the road from us.
We've been working every night and weekend gutting the house, so the Utilicar got pushed to the back burner. I'm hoping to get started on it again in a few weeks!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsoldiers View Post
Well, they're still sitting in the back of the cart waiting to be installed. Shortly after we got the Harley, we bought a fixer upper house down the road from us.
We've been working every night and weekend gutting the house, so the Utilicar got pushed to the back burner. I'm hoping to get started on it again in a few weeks!
Good to hear, and good luck with the house!
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration